Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing my credit - collection items and credit score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fixing my credit - collection items and credit score

Hello all, I need advice on how to go about fixing my credit.

I have good standing credit for the most part. I truthfully owe no debt to anyone. I only pay rent and car insurance. I intend to keep that way forever.

However, there are still things that have happened that I want to fix.

1) I have a collection item from an old apartment that my roommate stayed over the lease's agreement and racked up in damages. I notified and moved two months before the lease terminated. Since my name was on the lease, I was slapped with this. The roommate paid it all off himself promptly when this hit us. It's resolved as far as I can tell. How can I remove this without admitting this was my debt which it was NOT? It was reported 3/05.

2) I became disabled years ago and had to go on SSI to make ends meet. Since them I have worked some to the point that they claimed they have been overpaying me even though I had reported my wages and whatnot. They still want the money back so they slinged some sort of government debt on my credit report. I got laid off last January and had to go back on SSI because nobody would hire me. Now they are taking 10% of my monthly SSI in order to pay back the overpayment. This collection is still on my report. Can I get this off now that it's being paid? or am I stuck as it's the frigging government? I believe this was reported 8/08.

These are the only spots on my credit report. I also had two credit card companies (Amex and HSBC) close my accounts after the collection items popped up last year. Fortunately, both were with zero balances and perfect history. My concern is, I opened the Amex (it was a blue card with good travel promos) in October of that year, and it was closed in January. It was only open three months. Would this affect anything?

Also, I'd like to check all three's files on me, and the scores. I see myfico only have Transunion. Is there a company that offers all three? If so, how can I get all three without agreeing to some sneaky hokey-pokey charging me $19.95 for a year without an opt-out?

I really have no clue how to start doing this. Every time I read up on credit, I get overwhelmed. It's all this and that. I'm a visual learner, LOL. I'm reading FAQs one by one, so bear with the slow one...

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Fixing my credit - collection items and credit score

Also, I'd like to check all three's files on me, and the scores. I see myfico only have Transunion. Is there a company that offers all three?

Welcome to the forums. You can go to www.annualcreditreport.com to get all three of your reports for free one time a year. No one has been able to pull their own Experian score since mid-February. Creditors can pull Experian and also there is a CU in Pennsylvania that supplies that information to it's members only. You can only buy true FICO scores at a few places. One place is here at myfico which sells both Equifax and Transunion. I suggest you do an internet search for "myfico discount codes" to save a little money. You can also purchase your Equifax score at www.equifax.com and your Transunion score at www.transunioncs.com.

(myfico)
7/09 TU-742 EQ- 779
8/09 TU-765 EQ- 783
9/09 EX pulled by lender 802

CC interest free as of 8/09
Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO.
"Hello my name is Sandy and I'm a recovering crediholic".

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Hi, Cuse! Welcome.

My observations.

1. If you were a co-leasee and the terms of the lease were not met, you are legally responsible, totally and severably, for ensuring compliance with terms of the lease.  Your relied on a co-leasee, and they screwed you.  I suggest you write the CA, and plead your GW deletion case to them, as a responsible adult who relied upon trust of the other leasee.  Maybe they will show GW, for you certainly have a story of the heart.  But CAs are not social workers.  They already have payment on the account, and have little incentive to do anything more than file your GW in the circular file.  Give it a try.

2. Paying any CA, in part or in full, never removes it from your CR.  From a credit reporting perspective, believe it or not, you may be better off that the CA is not paid off.  Offer them a PFD, provided you can now pay the remaining balance, and you may have a shot at getting it removed from your CR due to their greed in wanting the payment.

Otherwise, the CA will remain for 7 1/2 years from the DOFD on the OC account, whether you pay or not.  Once paid, they have no greed factor in granting you any GW deletion.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

Marine:

I already pulled my free annual credit reports from all three earlier in the year. Thanks for the discount codes.

EGRobert:

1) Yes, I accepted full responsibility. However, the roommate incured all this and cleaned up all by himself without getting me involved.  The CA decided to include me. He PIF, not me. I just want it off my CR. I thought I needed to DV it? I will write up a sob story and send in a GW.

2) This is from SSI, the government. The federal level. This ain't no private company. I'm hoping it could be changed. Anyone ever deal with government debt before? I cannot afford to PFD right now.

How does my score suffer with those two collection items? I want to buy a house soon. I've been spending 11 years saving up a down payment.

Message Edited by cuse on 10-22-2009 10:58 PM
Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Let us first address the apt. foulup collection.

You said that it was first reported by the CA in 3/2005.  But that tells nothing about the date of lease default.

Let us start from there.

The lease obviously expired long prior to the date of CA reporting.

When was that last payment due on the lease?

Your woes begin with the first date of default of payment of the lease agreement.  What is that date?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.