Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fixing my credit mess-in hopes of getting into a home asap

tag
jordanmedical
Established Contributor

Re: Fixing my credit mess-in hopes of getting into a home asap

I'm in a similar boat as you, all my federal student loans are paid but I have a private in default that they sold to a collection agency and private loans don't re-hab (AES). If you have federal loans, I suggest you rehab them. My loan officer said the only thing standing between me and the house I want is the private loan in collection and the FICO score (which can be improved if I had open cc's). Through this forum I've gotten most collections deleted. I'm having my pre-paid legal helping me with this one as it's a 19K debt originaly, now $30K with fees. He said I need either 12 months of positive payment history or it paid/settled.

They are right about the card, pay it off and GW them to death Smiley Happy

Also, make your GW's personal with life issues you've been having.

-Rebuilding with CapOne Cash: $1.5k, NFCU cashRewards $8.5K, NavCheck $5K, Wal-Mart: $1.1K, Sam's: $1.2K, Amazon: $1.9K, Apple Barclay: $3K, Haverty's: $1.5K, GE capital: $5K, Sears: $250(AU), PP MC:$1.5K, CareCredit:$3K (closed 1st home 05/08/13)
Starting Score: 492-TU04, 480-EX FICO V2, 467-EQ Beacon 5 (Via Mortgage PreQual March '12)
Current Score: EX,EQ,TU (lender pull): 652, 659, 689, Walmart TU FICO: 691 (05/13)
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 11 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the advice Smiley Happy I was trying to figure out whether I pay LB first then GW, or ask for deletion,or ask them to remove lates before I paid (because I had read on some different threads where people said they'd paid something, and then other people jumped in and said "why'd you do that, now that you don't owe them anything, you have no leverage, and you should've gotten it in writing"). But I've been spending hours reading on here, and I think if I'm understanding it correctly, that PFD would eliminate it from my report all together? Which is definitely not what I want, so that doesn't seem like the way to go (assuming I'm correct in that understanding) Smiley Wink,  

But in my case I should pay, then GW letter afterwards. That's what I needed to know. Thank you,

I swear,I'm not dumb, honestly, LOL. Just REALLY uneducated on this new credit report/FICO universe, and I'm reading/learning as fast as I can, but also trying to get answers quickly to the immediate more time sensitive questions.

Message 12 of 22
courtney091082
Regular Contributor

PFD is for when an account is in collections I think. But you say LB isn't in collections yet. That's why others have advised to pay it off. Then after that GW them until they will remove the lates from the report. That would be a win win, because your card would still be active thus helping your credit score and it wouldn't show lates anymore.

9/1/2012 ...DRUMROLL .... EQ .. 776!!

I'm FINALLY a homeowner .. 10/24/12!!!!

My Cards ~~~GARDENING~~~ BNSF CU ($1000) BOA ($2500) Amazon / GE ($900) AMEX BCE ($2500) Chase Freedom ($3000) US Bank Cash + (7500)
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Smiley Happy

I will call LB tomorrow and go ahead and pay them off then. And start working on the GW letter, and try to figure out where to send it.

That'll just leave the big 'ol Sallie Mae loan to deal with. 

And the tax lien that isn't reported correctly (because I paid it)

Everything else is older and included in either consolidation or BK, so I don't know if there's anything else I can do?

Message 14 of 22
FrugalRican
Blogger

If you know anyone who owns a house and are trust-worthy and wouldn't mind you poking and prodding... ask them what they REALLY pay on a monthly basis for a house around that range. Make sure you are well-informed before you get caught up with maintenance fees/issues, property taxes, high utility costs, etc, etc, etc...

A lot of people use those calculators and it really doesn't give them a true sense of what they will end up paying for once they actually own a house.

So make sure you get yourself a clearer picture of rent vs mortgage.

Follow my financial journey: http://www.frugalrican.com

EQ FICO (01/16/2012): 656 - EQ FICO (02/16/2012): 743 - EQ (02/24/2012): 760 - EX (04/28/2012): 739 - GOAL 2013: 800+

AMEX BCE (0/10K) --- BOA 1-2-3 (0/15.9K) --- Discover More (0/6K) --- Chase Freedom Visa (0/1.4K) -- Hyatt Visa Sign. (0/5.8K) -- Barclay's NFL Card (0/7.5K) -- Chase Sapphire Preferred (0/5K)

Message 15 of 22
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@ FR,

It's also pretty easy to forget how much we spend on daily stuff like Starbucks, gas, cigars, Starbucks, beer, yogurt, and other incidentals like food. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 16 of 22
rckstrscott
Valued Contributor

@drkaje wrote:

@ FR,

It's also pretty easy to forget how much we spend on daily stuff like Starbucks, gas, cigars, Starbucks, beer, yogurt, and other incidentals like food. Smiley Happy

Cigars, beer and yogurt..

I wanna party with THIS guy!

-scott

Starting FICO Score: October 2010: TU 498 | EQ: 502
Current FICO Scores:: May 2022: TU: 784 | EQ: 770 | EX: 790
Message 17 of 22
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@rckstrscott wrote:

@drkaje wrote:

@ FR,

Cigars, beer and yogurt..

I wanna party with THIS guy!

-scott

I'm a finely tuned machine, LOL!

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 18 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@FrugalRican wrote:

If you know anyone who owns a house and are trust-worthy and wouldn't mind you poking and prodding... ask them what they REALLY pay on a monthly basis for a house around that range. Make sure you are well-informed before you get caught up with maintenance fees/issues, property taxes, high utility costs, etc, etc, etc...

A lot of people use those calculators and it really doesn't give them a true sense of what they will end up paying for once they actually own a house.

So make sure you get yourself a clearer picture of rent vs mortgage.

That's really good advice, thank you Smiley Happy

Maybe I can find something online that shows an average of utilities in that area or something...(don't know if a site like that exists, but I'll give it a search)

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I just got off the phone with Lane Bryant. They told me I could be considered current with payment of $369, but I paid whole thing off anyway. I asked them to confirm that the payment will make my account current, and remain open with good standing, and she said yes, but it usually takes 30-45 days to reflect that. I also asked (because no harm in asking) if they would remove any of the past lates on the report, and she said yes, but again, we need to wait 30-45 days. Hope that's all true...

I also just signed up for the trial ScoreWatch, so I could get my FICO. I like Equifax's score much better lol. I currently (with LB still on there as bad) have 570 with Equifax and 528 with Transunion (bought that one so I'd have a better idea of where I stand).

Score simulator has me as potentially over 570-590 on Equifax and potentially 578-618 on Transunion just from that update. That's not even including dealing with Sallie Mae

Funny Equifax doesn't show that silly tax lien that's on TU (the one that I paid a long time ago)...

So there's check mark #1 off the list. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.