Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Follow up to dv with wrong info

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Follow up to dv with wrong info

My husband received a letter from a CA that is not reporting on the CR regarding a CO account from a payday advance loan. We have never used this service. I sent a dv cmrrr and received a letter today validating the account. The SSN is blocked out except for the last 4 digits which is not the same last four of my dh's SSN. My husband has a very very common name. He has issues traveling and going through customs all the time (he travels for work) because his name is so common.

How do I respond? Do I call them and say, um you have the wrong xxxx xxxxxx? I don't want to actually give them his SSN so how do we follow up and show they have the wrong person with the same name?

Thanks
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Follow up to dv with wrong info

If I got a letter like that and knew it wasn't mine, I'd respond telling to take a flying leap that the last 4 digits of the SSN you provided don't belong to anyone here. Just make sure the CO isn't reporting.

Don't call. Keep everything in writing. And never give out a SSN.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. No one is reporting this as of right now. I just want to make sure it doesn't get reported falsely. The letter shows the charge off date as 1/3/02 so it is out of SOL here anyways.
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A CA response to a DV letter requires them, under the FDCPA, to do much more than just state that the debt is "validated."  They must provide proof of your contract for the debt.  I would simply tell them that their DV response is not in compliance with requrirements of the FDCPA, and that they cease and desisit in collection attempts.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Actuallly, this CA did validate properly in their response. They had all the info required in the letter. But it is not my husband's. Fortunately, their validating letter helps because the ssn is not even close to my husband's.
Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

I'd  probably sit on this; I don't think anything will happen. I would keep an eye on the caller ID and CRs, though.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.