Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Following me? Need Advice

tag
jonjohn
Contributor

Following me? Need Advice

Anyone that has been following my plight might understand what I am tyring to do.

I had a credit score of 641 with a $84.10 med debt and a $2256.00 charge off.

I successfully did a PFD of the $84.10 med debt. Although, I just spoke to hospital and it won't update til the end of Feb.

I settled the charge off at $1,354.00. I had to dipute it because it was showing $68 dollars still owing. That was fixed today.

Here is my problem. As a result of the $0 balance and that fact that is was taken out of my CC util (according to llec) it now dropped my score to 625.. OUCH!

The damage from the charge off is already done in my eyes. Should I just let it be, or should I do a PFD of the remaining $802???

I assume it won't help the score, but at least the negative would be gone!?!?!?

Input is appreciated...

Starting Score: EQ 625 TU 630
Current Score: EX 711 EQ 685 TU 680
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Following me? Need Advice

When you settled the CO for 1.3K did you negociate a PFD or ask them to delete the TL ?

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 13
jonjohn
Contributor

No, I did not.  I was showing the $2256 past due and charge off/bad debt.

I just wanted to get it to $0 past due but still charge off. Didn't have $2256 to throw at them at the time. lol

I really don't have the $802, but I could swing it if it means getting rid of it from my CR

That is the only thing that is on there showing neg.

Of course, I have had a 3 accts with late payments, but that was over 2 years ago.

Message 3 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

So did they sell the remaining $800 to a CA or are they still holding as a remaining balance on this account ??   Or did they just write it off completely ?

Message 4 of 13
jonjohn
Contributor

No, they did not sell it. They just "charged off" the remaining balance

Message 5 of 13
jonjohn
Contributor

Also, I have a CC that is almost maxed (this is hurting my CC util) if I pay it down to at least half, will that help?

I was told once that paying a "large lump sum" actually throws up a red flag. It would be assumed that I just "came into" extra money. It's not a reflection of my credit responsibility. Would you agree?

Message 6 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@jonjohn wrote:

No, they did not sell it. They just "charged off" the remaining balance

Ok, well maybe you could further negociate a deal if they accepted an additional payment, they would delete the negative TL from your CRs....

And it is certainly possibly that they might sell it off in the future to a CA who would come after you for the balance.

Message 7 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@jonjohn wrote:

Also, I have a CC that is almost maxed (this is hurting my CC util) if I pay it down to at least half, will that help?

I was told once that paying a "large lump sum" actually throws up a red flag. It would be assumed that I just "came into" extra money. It's not a reflection of my credit responsibility. Would you agree?

Yes, lowering your revolving %util is good for your FICO score, especially if it is maxed out.

Also, I'm not aware of any red flag about paying a large amount at once....

Message 8 of 13
jonjohn
Contributor

How could they "sell it" or "come after me" for it if THEY were the one's that settled the account at that amount?

I have a letter from them that states.

" Dell Financial Services, LLC. considers the above-mentioned account closed and settled for less than full balance as of 12/7/2011."

Message 9 of 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Ok if that is the case then I think you are probably fine.  

In many cases, companies or CAs will accept a partial payment, and then sell the remaining balance to someone else to collect....

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.