Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For those that DO NOT believe what happens to AAoA by opening NEW accounts

tag
BarryNTexas
Established Contributor

Re: For those that DO NOT believe what happens to AAoA by opening NEW accounts

@nma851 wrote:

Since AAoA is QUITE important in FICO's scoring, I wanted to post my myFICO info to show what the 2 new accounts did to my AAoA.  My ONLY reasons for posting this are A) EDUCATE:  Those rebuilding, this temptation is VERY high.  Even for myself, I admit, I get the "itch" knowing my scores are what they are;  B) PROVE: Time is pretty much one of the few factors on our side - we may think "OH if I have 2 reporting, if I have 6 reporting I'll get up there even FASTER.  NOT THE CASE!  

Granted, we have many many many folks on here that educate us regularly and have a VAST array of knowledge, moreso than myself, but I want to show you al what happened in REAL TIME.  Here ya go:

DECEMBER 2013:

1. You have an established credit history.

Your oldest account was opened:  18 Years, 2 Months ago

Average age of your accounts:  12 years, 9 Months

FICO High Achievers opened their oldest account 19 years ago, on average.
Most FICO High Achievers have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years.

**NOTICE HOW I WAS 9 MONTHS SHY OF BEING IN THE "HIGH ACHIEVER" GROUP IN BOTH CATEGORIES RELATED TO AAOA WHEN LOOKING AT THE CURRENT:

FEBRUARY 2014:

Average age of your accounts:  10 years, 3 months

Most FICO High Achievers have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years.

WHATTTTTT????   10 YEARS, 3 MONTHS???  

Now, I lost almost THREE (3) YEARS as a result of my 2 new accounts.  Granted, this will be different for everyone, however my point is to show, in real-time, exactly what opening multiple accounts WILL DO to your AAoA if you were thinking "OH a few months won't hurt" or "That extra account I was pre-approved for won't hurt too much & my score will be up in a few months again" or "I can live with the hit for the next 6 months".  THAT BEING SAID, LOSING THREE YEARS - DOESN'T EXACTLY LOOK LIKE A SWEET DEAL OR THE RIGHT WAY TO GO NOW DOES IT? 

As stated before, this is PURELY to help out those rebuliding and those who are thinking about opening multiple account QUICKLY.  PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE - TAKE THE ADVICE & LEARN FROM ONE WHO HAS NOW LOST THREE YEARS FROM WHAT I DID.  THIS ISN'T NECESSARILY "WRONG" PER SE, AS WE ARE ALL FACTORED DIFFERENTLY, HOWEVER I CANNOT STATE IT ENOUGH THAT UNTIL I SAW IT, I REALLY DID NOT "BELIEVE" IT WOULD BE THIS MUCH!!!!

Hope this helps you all out there and have a GREAT START TO YOUR WEEKEND!!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Good illustration of expanding your numerator in the calculation.  I would be curious how it really affected your credit score as that for me is the essential impact. 

IE -  I lost 3 years of AAoA and 50 points on my Fako.  Thanks, Barry

DC Prem 20K | DC Elite 20K | PenFed Visa 25K | NFCU Sig Visa 25K | NFCU Flagship 25K | AMEX Delta 25K & SPG 15K
RBFCU MC 20K | Barclay's RMC 11.5K & Ring 22K | Chase United 30K | Chase Hyatt 8K | Citi AA 15K | Citi DC 15K
Discover it® 27K | JCPenney MC 22K | Home Depot $9K
EX/796 EQ/794 TU/802 GOAL: Break 800
Message 11 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Good info for those of us who have long credit histories. Thx

Message 12 of 17
credit_challenged09
Regular Contributor

@nma851 wrote:

Since AAoA is QUITE important in FICO's scoring, I wanted to post my myFICO info to show what the 2 new accounts did to my AAoA.  My ONLY reasons for posting this are A) EDUCATE:  Those rebuilding, this temptation is VERY high.  Even for myself, I admit, I get the "itch" knowing my scores are what they are;  B) PROVE: Time is pretty much one of the few factors on our side - we may think "OH if I have 2 reporting, if I have 6 reporting I'll get up there even FASTER.  NOT THE CASE!  

Granted, we have many many many folks on here that educate us regularly and have a VAST array of knowledge, moreso than myself, but I want to show you al what happened in REAL TIME.  Here ya go:

DECEMBER 2013:

Average age of your accounts:  12 years, 9 Months

Most FICO High Achievers have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years.

**NOTICE HOW I WAS 9 MONTHS SHY OF BEING IN THE "HIGH ACHIEVER" GROUP IN BOTH CATEGORIES RELATED TO AAOA WHEN LOOKING AT THE CURRENT:

FEBRUARY 2014:

Average age of your accounts:  10 years, 3 months

Most FICO High Achievers have an average age of accounts between 6 and 12 years.

WHATTTTTT????   10 YEARS, 3 MONTHS???  

Now, I lost almost THREE (3) YEARS as a result of my 2 new accounts.  Granted, this will be different for everyone, however my point is to show, in real-time, exactly what opening multiple accounts WILL DO to your AAoA if you were thinking "OH a few months won't hurt" or "That extra account I was pre-approved for won't hurt too much & my score will be up in a few months again" or "I can live with the hit for the next 6 months".  THAT BEING SAID, LOSING THREE YEARS - DOESN'T EXACTLY LOOK LIKE A SWEET DEAL OR THE RIGHT WAY TO GO NOW DOES IT? 

As stated before, this is PURELY to help out those rebuliding and those who are thinking about opening multiple account QUICKLY.  PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE - TAKE THE ADVICE & LEARN FROM ONE WHO HAS NOW LOST THREE YEARS FROM WHAT I DID.  THIS ISN'T NECESSARILY "WRONG" PER SE, AS WE ARE ALL FACTORED DIFFERENTLY, HOWEVER I CANNOT STATE IT ENOUGH THAT UNTIL I SAW IT, I REALLY DID NOT "BELIEVE" IT WOULD BE THIS MUCH!!!!

Hope this helps you all out there and have a GREAT START TO YOUR WEEKEND!!!! Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Thanks for this piece of information.   I looked at my Equifax report and it shows my AAoA is 3 years and 12 months?  Doesn't this equate to 4 years?  weird..

FICO Scores: (EX-735-11/12) EQ-757-12/03 (TU-750-11/12)
Discover FICO: 756 - 12/17 Walmart FICO: 750-1/06
USAA FAKO: EX-742 EQ-761 TU-761

Macys $7.2k - NFCU $24k - Discover $6.8k - Cap One $3500 - Nordstrom $3.5k - Wells Fargo $1k - Walmart $4.5k- The Limited $2.5k- Victoria's Secret $2.2k- Bloomingdales $2k- JCP $700
Message 13 of 17
nma851
Regular Contributor

BarryNTexas wrote:

Good illustration of expanding your numerator in the calculation.  I would be curious how it really affected your credit score as that for me is the essential impact. 

IE -  I lost 3 years of AAoA and 50 points on my Fako.  Thanks, Barry

I hear ya on that!  50 points IS a sting but give it 3-6 months & it will trickle back on up, assuming PAG'ing on all accounts.  Such a complex scoring system yet NONE of us could ever find that "accurate as a lender" type model.  All those variables, etc etc etc.  Did you open a new one or did you have an older one drop off that was calculated in your AAoA?  Now you have me curious as I have SEVERAL old ones due to drop off throughout this year (10 year mark) and I'm SURE that will hit my AAoA just as opening the 2 newbies did. 

Are you asking for my REAL scores (i.e. directly pulled from the 3 CRA's) versus myfico & CK, etc?  Had to pull em anyway for the attorney handling my FCRA & FDCPA matters so here they are from the FAKO's:  Current Scores (FAKO'S): EX 779 (Direct); TU 762 (CK); EQ 773 (myFico) - 05 Feb 2014; Current Scores (DIRECT): EX: 767(-12), TU: 749(-13), EQ: 793(+20).  Weird how EX & TU went down & EQ went up, but I know TU has ALWAYS been the lowest & they use a different "model" or something to that effect.  

I also just had a few of those report for the month, only one is showing a balance at this time.  I guarantee once the Amazon promo hits, it will drop again a few but honestly - I WILL NOT complain as I have learned from what I did and the impacts.  My UT, AAoA, & Hist are carrying the "weight" appropriately and I don't disagree with the scoring.  Afterall, it COULD be worse.  Guess I should update my sig as well with these but was going to wait for March with the GC before I updated them.  If it is "Forum Law" to update them right away, then I shall do such so you all have an accurate depiction.  By March's reporting, this is going to be different regardless so instead of this mid-month update for the reason aforementioned, I would rather stick with the scores I'm getting via the respective FAKO's otherwise my up/down/up/down will be skewed from *actual* FICO's versus the FAKO's.  If I am told to update I will update!! 

Keep it up Barry!  

BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 14 of 17
nma851
Regular Contributor

You are ALL most welcome again for those who posted after my first YW Smiley HappySmiley Happy

We're all in this together & I appreciate all the support just as much as the next.  All we can do is keep going strong!

Keep it up everyone & KNOWLEDGE is our best friend Smiley Happy Smiley Happy   Glad I could help 

BCE: 22.5K; BC-REW: 15K; QSSIG: 15K; CITI: 6K; FREE: 15.5K; DISC-IT: 17K; FCU: 20K; FCU-HELOC: 7.3/45K; AMZ-MC: 6.5K; KAY: 7.4K, LOWES VISA: 22K. FICOS: EX: 829; TU: 812, EQ: 822- 21 OCT 15. (NEVER TO FORGET PRE-MF: 635, 629, & 630 in Oct 2012)
Message 15 of 17
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Great post! If only the people that insist on getting a mountain of toy limit store cards that they will never use would understand that. This should be required reading! Thanks for sharing!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 16 of 17
nma851
Regular Contributor

coldnmn wrote:

Great post! If only the people that insist on getting a mountain of toy limit store cards that they will never use would understand that. This should be required reading! Thanks for sharing!

Thank you as well coldnmn -

You have a VERY VERY VERY good point..  All that does, just with ANY cards for the matter, will increase available out there which may or may not help, especially if they are all opened within the short time. it's gonna affect ya in these "mixes", specifically more CC experience than a GOOD mix of all.  As far as I am concerned, I am EXACTLY where I need to be CL wise.  Anything more would be ridiculous, unnecessary, unneeded, etc. etc. and will make a lender look at me & say "Now wait a second - while he HAS been perfect with all this, based on his DTI (NOT UT), the guy is over-extended - well, has the potential to be.  I DO NOT WANT THAT.  I've read it a thousand times to ONLY GET WHAT YOU ABSOLUTELY NEED & that is one of the rules I am following.  

i know there is this "Higher CL's = better scores" and while that MAY be true at face value, once income is factored in for a full DTI%, that could end up doing ALOT more harm than good.  

This is why I let em Auto-CLI too - never asked for one, they've bumped now & then, but the latest one I rejected due to the 2 newbies that replaced the sub-primes.  It's a wash realistically, well - maybe $1-2K more than I DID have, but there's just no reason for me to have higher & higher CL's and risk a lender closing me or CLD'ing me down the line.  It's NOT just about "Pay on time" as we (now) now and I, too, was once in that misconception boat.  I still have alot of learning; but now that I have more than the basics, I know the roads I must go down & MORE IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER!!!! 

You take care & thanks for your input too.  

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.