Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forcing creditor to update repot

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Forcing creditor to update repot

Hi all. I just paid off $45000 in credit card debt, in early October. My cc use was 74%!

Simulators say my score should go up about 100 points. My problem is Discover. I paid over $20k to them but they have not updated my credit report balance since Aug 23!! And yes, Sept and Oct both say Unreported

A few others are going over a month between reports to all 3 bureaus. How do I force them to update my report?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Forcing creditor to update repot

I know that Discover will do an off cycle update if you request it
Message 2 of 5
stellar
Established Contributor

You can contact the 3 credit bureaus and dispute the balance as incorrect.  They will update it. 

Or you can secure message those cc companies and tell them it hasn't been updating, they may correct it.

Also some creditors like BoA will do an update if you change your address on their site..like road to rd.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

While most creditors will update monthly, the requirement under FCRA 623(a)(2) is that prior reporting must be "promptly" updated so as to reflect its current accuracy.

No period in terms of days, weeks or months is provided.  What is or is not prompt is a bit subjective.

You can file a dispute based on an interpretation that "prompt" implies a set period, but I would first make an informal contact with the creditor and request their statement of when they will be updating.  A dispute will temporarily remove certain info from scoring, and may be more disruptive than helpful.

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I called Discover and they were happy to force the update. I will get the other 2 or 3 together and call them too
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.