cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forwarded to Collections even though Debt paid - still showing as open.

tag
Labtec600

Forwarded to Collections even though Debt paid - still showing as open.

Hello,  looking to see what I can do about this (hoping this is the right area too)

In May  three years ago, an old apartment complex I lived in sent a debt to a collection agency ($66). The debt wasn't reported as a collection to start, they just were looking to get the debt paid. I paid it off. A month later (June), I got another letter telling me if I do not pay the debt, it would be reported as a collection. I called the collection Agency - they said they didn't receive anything. I contacted the Apartment complex and they said they would take care of it.

A month later (July), I receive another letter from the collection agency - this time they submitted it as a collection and the letter went on about legal action. I wrote a certified letter (I didn't save the stupid letter, but still have the portion of the certified postage you keep) to both the collection agency and the apartment complex - the letter included a copy of the cleared check. I received no more letters after this.

A year later (two years ago) I moved to my current apartment building. When they ran my credit, the debt was STILL showing as open (Open since July). I contacted the prior Apt complex and they wrote a letter to my apt complex noting that it was paid.

When I check my credit report, the debt STILL shows as open. I did an online dispute with experience and transunion but both come back with a note from the debt agency that the debt is correct and still open (on my report, it now says something a long the lines of "consumer disputes this debt")This is the only negative thing on my report - I have paid off an auto loan, I am on time with bills, and have no CC debt. I understand things fall through the cracks and that is fine, but this is getting ridiculous.

What should I do?

The debt never should have went to collections to begin with as it was paid - I still have all the debt agency letters. I also have a copy of the cancelled check and could get a copy of the letter from the old APT complex noting the debt was paid.

This was three years ago - if I again write the collection agency and they do close it - wont it become a recently closed debt and therefore go from something three years ago to something today? In other words, do I just let it sit there for the 7 or whatever amount of years it takes to just fall off? Or can it be "erased" since it never should have been with collections in the first place or has that ship sailed?

I am not receiving any phone calls (I haven't changed my number) nor am I receiving any letters. It's not being pursued. It's just sitting out there staring at me and mocking me.

Thank you for any help!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Forwarded to Collections even though Debt paid - still showing as open.

Send the copy of the cancelled check to the CA and tell them it was paid years ago long before it went to collections.  Ask them to remove it.,

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.