Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Found a way to get Portfolio Recovery Associates to remove accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Found a way to get Portfolio Recovery Associates to remove accounts

Portfolio Recovery Associates is notoriously stubborn about removing old accounts whether you paid them off or not. I just wanted to share how I had success with them.I had one account that I paid off in 2014 that they refused to take off and one account that still had a balance. Both accounts are about five years old from the date of first delenquency with the original creditor. Anyways, I filled out a fraud affidavit and faxed it to them. The next day I called and they stated they removed both accounts from collections. The fax number is 7573212519 and I googled the fraud affadivit form. The webpage is https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/pdf-0094-identity-theft-affidavit.pdf

Basically, Portfolio doesn't usually have enough info on the consumer to prove that it's NOT fraud so they have to conceed and remove the account even if you settled it in the past. Good luck everyone.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Found a way to get Portfolio Recovery Associates to remove accounts

Be careful about filing an affidavit that isn't 100% true- affidavits by definition are testimony and, as such, leave the signer open to perjury charges

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Found a way to get Portfolio Recovery Associates to remove accounts

In my case there is a woman who has my same exact name and date of birth down to the year. The only difference is our social #s. I've had to deal with her showing up on my background reports and credit reports for years. I finally found a way to get the information removed quickly and efficiently without having to go through the whole dispute process. Everytime I dispute they always verify it based on the name and date of birth.

And yes I called PRA and made sure that I would not be perjuring myself if they did investigate the accounts and found them to be mine. 

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.