gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Four months later, debt still hasn't been validated

A CFPB complaint would be in order    http://www.consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I may be in the same situation. I had a lease that I paid as agreed through contract. A new lease was issued and defaulted on (without my name or signature). I have disputed with the CB's but it is coming back as valid. I am considering litigation. There is no question this is not my debt and the CA (National Credit Systems) is aware. They have never sent a letter or called me and refuse to answer my e-mails or snail mail. Does the CFPB work? There is a part of me that wants to make them pay for forcing me to spend so much time trying to resolve this but the more prudent approach is to make it go away. Thoughts?

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would suggest filing a formal complaint against Enhanced Recovery through the BBB.

On the complaint, list that you sent a DV letter and it's been four months. You've waited patiently, but enough is enough. The debt is invalid, and if they cannot provide proper verification, then they need to delete the trade line immediately. Also mention that they cease collection efforts, and not attempt to pass the account.

At the very least you'll get a response from someone, anytime between a day-three weeks.

I've gotten invalid collections off in days with this method.
Worth a try. Good luck 🍀
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DeeBee78 wrote:

@gdale6 wrote:

@DeeBee78 wrote:

I sent Enhanced Recovery a DV letter back on March 13th, which they received on the 20th. I still have not received a response from them, and this false collection still sits there on my credit reports. 

I know they don't have a set amount of time to respond to the validation, but almost four months is ridiculous. Is there anything I can do to speed this along, or a bureau I can file a complaint with? I just want them to admit the debt is false and remove it from my credit report. It's dragging my score down pretty drastically. The one-sidedness of debt collection is extremely aggravating, especially when you're in the right. 

Why is it false?

Long story short, T-Mobile says I owe them money, when I actually do not. They claim I defaulted on a cell phone contract, which I never did. I never had a cell phone contract with them, just a pre-paid line that I gave up when I moved to AT&T/iPhone back in 2008. They are unable to provide proof of this contract. 

It's been suggested by other forum members that I file a police report for identity theft, but this wasn't the case. Clearly something was messed up in their system, and now I'm stuck trying to get rid of the false collection. T-Mobile refuses to help me with this, since the debt has been sold off. At this point, I'm at a loss, and I feel like I'm being forced to keep this collection through no fault of my own. 

Scores on all three bureaus dropped 40-50 points when this hit, and they're just now starting the uphill climb. 

check you private message, if that person cant help no one can 

Message 14 of 16
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I may be in the same situation. I had a lease that I paid as agreed through contract. A new lease was issued and defaulted on (without my name or signature). I have disputed with the CB's but it is coming back as valid. I am considering litigation. There is no question this is not my debt and the CA (National Credit Systems) is aware. They have never sent a letter or called me and refuse to answer my e-mails or snail mail. Does the CFPB work? There is a part of me that wants to make them pay for forcing me to spend so much time trying to resolve this but the more prudent approach is to make it go away. Thoughts?

The CFPB complaint worked. Enhanced Recovery withdrew the false collection.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

DeeBee,

Congrats!

I filed my compaint with them last night ater I read your thread. I wonder why this is not more popular in this forum?

Thanks to all!!!

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.