Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Accounts On Reports

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fraudulent Accounts On Reports

Hello, I'm not quite sure where to post this so feel free to move if needed.

i have been a member of the site for a few months, I joined to read up to help my brother fix his credit. Now I'm the one who actually needs help. In December 2012, I went to the emergency with stomach pains, turned out I needed an appendectomy. I came home after 2 days in the hospital and went back in after 2 weeks with more stomach pains. Turns out I had an abscess. I was in and out of the hospital for the next year due to abscesses and staff infections. I'm just now really starting to feel like myself again.

Anyway, I have my credit reports that I pulled in November 2012, I don't know what my scores were then but I had 2 charge accounts and 2 student loans, nothing derogatory at all. With all the time I spent in the hospital I didn't pull my credit again until 2 weeks ago. I was surprised to see a capital one that went to collections listed and an account from AFNI for ATT Mobility. Also, there's a Portfolio Recovery for HSBC charge account. All accounts were opened during the month I was in the hospital for an extended stay. It seems like all payments on the accounts ceased about 2 months after I was home for good. It seems like the HSBC account for Portfolio is the same as the Capital One account. I didn't open any of these accounts, I haven't seen any mail from them but there's a lot of mail I missed when I was ill. I also moved in 2014 and I haven't seen any mail from any of these companies.

Im not sure what to do first? Do I contact HSBC or Capital One? Do I contact Portfolio? By the accounts aren't new, can I still fill out forms for identity theft? 

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Fraudulent Accounts On Reports

REad the Identity Theft process sticky posted in the General Credit Topics forum for a full review of how to deal with accounts that you did not open.

In a nutshell, you first want to file a police report and send it to the CRAs, thus getting the information blocked from your credit report.

That will address the scoring impact.  See FCRA 605B

You can then also send a copy of the police report to the creditor and the debt collector and obtain information from them as to the establishement and use of the account.

See FCRA 609(e).

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you, I have already started the steps.

Message 3 of 4
needtodobetter
Frequent Contributor

Good luck!

05/01/15: EQ 519 TU 541 EX 506
10/28/15: EQ 637 TU 646 EX 622
First Goal Score: 600
Second Goal Score: 640
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.