Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freaked out!

tag
mekikya
Established Member

Freaked out!

I just got out of the hospital with my 7 year old who had pnuemonia. Found out I got a parking ticket while I was there(my boyfriend had the car) and I contacted the company to pay it and according to them, they just sent to collections today!  I tried to call this company they sold it to, and all i got was a vm, they told me to leave my information. I left my phone number and said I wanted a call back. Do I have any options? will they report to my credit right away now they it was sent to collections? I had no idea I had this ticket until today. Do I have any rights when it comes to them reporting to my credit?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Re: Freaked out!

take a deep breath. I don't think it is likely it will end up on your credit card. It is very very unlikely it will appear there right away if ever. You are right to try and track it down though and get it paid off as soon as possible. I think you will be fine and it won't end up on your credit report. 

Message 2 of 9
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Parking tickets DO NOT go on credit reports, they are not consumer debt. 

Message 3 of 9
mekikya
Established Member

It was not from the city. It was from a private company. Central parking services. My boyfriend dropped me and my son off at the ER, and I guess he didn't realize he had to pay in the parking next to the ER... he said there was a sign that public parking so he didnt think anything of it...

I plan on paying it ASAP, but i'm just starting my credit journey and this would set me back if it were reported...

Message 4 of 9
Joteism
Regular Contributor

Actually, District of Columbia puts parking and traffic tickets on people's credit reports all the time. I've had two tickets go on my report. Luckily they've set it up so that the CA deletes it upon payment... 

I live in MD, and here  they just refuse to renew your registeration if you have any unpaid tickets. 

Message 5 of 9
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Parking tickets on credit reports, wow that's the first I hear of that! mekikya, hope it works out for you in the end.

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 6 of 9
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

@dddewdrop wrote:

take a deep breath. I don't think it is likely it will end up on your credit card. It is very very unlikely it will appear there right away if ever. You are right to try and track it down though and get it paid off as soon as possible. I think you will be fine and it won't end up on your credit report. 

Speaking of that, Chicago sent me parking tickets from 2000 a couple weeks ago. First of all I don't remember them at all, second of all I looked it up and there is no SOL on municipal fines. I know that they are not fair game to get on my credit report and I really don't think I owe them. I am an honorable person but I think it is a scam. I did read an article saying several cities are doing this and opening their books waaay back to get some extra revenue. 

Back to your situation,   if it is a private company they could put it in your credit report possibly, but just remember that cost money and lets say your original ticket was 50 dollars. If the debt was sold to someone else it was probably for cents on the dollar...which reduces the value of it to them if recovered a bit more. Placing on your credit report would cost even more.  I think it is possible but it just woul not happen so soon after you got the ticket. They have to give you an opportunity to pay it. It just couldn't be standard policy for them to report to credit bureaus on tickets people just got. That just isn't economically viable and plus would cause them a lot of problems with complaints from people. Pay it and ya should be fine.

Message 7 of 9
mekikya
Established Member

Thanks everyone, made me feel better about things, I finally got a hold of them today, and I told the girl my situation and she said that she believed they had to attempt to collect from me before they could report to a credit bereau. I hope thats true. Anyway, she waived the charge for over the phone processing fee(which im sure is just some tacked on charge but whatever) and I paid the original price of 26 dollars. I hope thats the last I hear about that thing, though I did make sure to get her name, write down what was said, and get a receipt...don't want this to come back on me later to bite my credit score in the butt...

Message 8 of 9
dddewdrop
Valued Contributor

Good going. Well handled by you,

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.