Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Friend sent GW to mortgage company, asked them to forgive his whole debt

tag
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

Friend sent GW to mortgage company, asked them to forgive his whole debt

and this is no lie, they responded back saying they were in receipt of his letter and would respond back to him in 30 days concerning his request.

this is either how screwed up the banks are or just a form letter.

If they come back in 30 days and forgive his mortgage he will undoubtably be on the evening news !!!!

Too funny

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

Re: Friend sent GW to mortgage company, asked them to forgive his whole debt

I guess I missed the humor. I hope your friend realizes this could turn out bad. I used to work in mortgage collections for many years and if I were to receive a letter like that the first thing I would do is order an appraisal. And you know who pays for it? That's right, the fee got passed on to the debtor. A letter of this nature can be taken as an intent to vacate & abandon the property. Makes no difference if the payments are current or not. Had plenty of people who sent in letters like that who were gone by the time the appraiser got there. If the property appraised well, a DIL MAY be offered. (Deed in lieu of foreclosure). If not, a RTC (right to cure) would be sent. Most mortgages I know have an acceleration clause. If your friend ever had a history of abusing his mortgage-late payments, extensions, failing to cover escrow, he/she could find themselves on the courthouse steps trying to get their house back! Not to mention the beating his/her credit would take after loss mitigation starts reporting. And, that would really take an act of Congress to get out.

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 2 of 5
sassymomof2
Frequent Contributor

Almost forgot...directions to the appraiser on the work order: Secure if vacant or appears to be vacant.

Starting Fico Feb 2011 EQ 570 TU 580 EX ?
May 2014 EQ 709 EX 684 TU discover 665

Closed on first home April 26, 2012!
Last app August 2, 2014. Gardening indefinitely!!!
Message 3 of 5
suzook1
Frequent Contributor

well humor aside, his mortgage has changed hands five times in four years and each time it has been screwed up.

He had tried for the federal programs and got approved and then had to send his paperwork in 10 different times !!

While not a funny situation at some point the humor has to come out because he has been through the ringer dealing with

these banks

Message 4 of 5
GregB
Valued Contributor

It is easy for the consumer to blame the banks.

I would give some blame to banks, particularly the wall street investment firms. I would give at least that much blame to consumers and governement.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.