Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From sub-600 scores to 700 club in 30 days

tag
kblatt
New Contributor

From sub-600 scores to 700 club in 30 days

Edit: TL;DR summary with my strategy at the end... sorry for the long winded message, didn't know it was this long as I was typing it out!

Hi everyone,

I'm writing this to give a quick overview of my credit repair story, and hopefully give some people out there who were in my position a mere 30 days ago a bit of hope and direction as I know exactly how it feels to be there.  My intention isn't to brag what-so-ever (I still feel I have a LONG way to go) and I will preface this by saying my starting scores were ALL FAKO, so take those baselines with a grain of salt.  I want to be able to give back to this community in particular and share how I was able to go from sub 600s scores on all 3 CBs to 700+ within 30 days.

I also want to point out that I'm using absolutely no hyperbole.  It doesn't behoove me to lie on an anonyous internet forum to a bunch of strangers.  I'm not doing this for recognition or to 'brag', but again, to help others who were in MY position as I know exactly how desperate it can feel.

To start, my FAKO scores as reported via FreeCreditReport.com on May 1st were as follows... EX: 580 / EQ: 599 / TU: 599.  There is a high chance that my actual FICOs were substantially higher, but I used these as reference points becuase these were the only ones I had at the time.  I was unaware of myFICO.com, and even the fact that the scores reflected there weren't my actual credit scores but rather their best 'guestimate' based on their proprietary 'PLUS' formula.  In other words, worthless.

For years I had struggled with my credit, thinking that it was too daunting of a task to tackle, and would always procrastonate and put off dealing with it.  Finally, with a bit of luck, I got motivated and decided enough was enough, and no matter how long it took I was going to deal with my issues.  I'm in my mid 20s, and my oldest account was opened in 2002 by my parents who got me a Capital One CC.  

My first break was applying on a whim in late April for a United Mileage Plus card from Chase which I was 'pre-approved for'.  I hadn't gotten a credit card in years due to my poor credit, and figured I really didn't have anything to lose.  I'm a frequent traveler and fly with United so decided that I would go for it.  To my surprise, I was instantly approved for an $8k credit limit with a 580 Experian score.  My second highest CL was the $2,000 CC my parents had opened for me when I was younger.

After being approved, I decided to start looking into credit lines, wondering how I was approved with such terrible credit.  I'm still not exactly sure how this happened, but it lead my to my first credit revelation... utilization.  As soon as my card posted to my reports in early May, my Util % dropped from nearly 100% to around 60% which gave my score a boost.  This gave me initial encouragement.  I decided since this was the absolute fastest way to improve my credit score since it made up roughly 30% of your overall score, so I'd work to pay down my existing CC balances IMMEDIATELY as I had the cash in the bank to cover them.  After paying down my cards and waiting for the balances to update, I started looking into other ways to improve my score and in the process found this website and subsequent community.

The next thing I decided to tackle were some outstanding issues on my credit reports.  I saw that I had three items on each report in collections, and an additional 3 derogatory marks for 30 day missed payments on TLs over the years.  After reading the forums basically 24/7, I felt that I was confident enough to call the CAs which had long been paid and ask for them to simply remove the items from my reports.  To my surprise, all 3 CAs agreed without any type of hasstle.  Looking back, I probably should have gotten their agreements signed and mailed to me, but luckily all of the credit agencies kept their word and removed these issues from my report.

During this period of time, my Util % started dropping.  I had gone from near 100% util, down to 61% util, down to 40%.

I also called my CC companies and asked for payment forgiveness.  2 out of the 3 simply agreed to remove and made good on their promise.  I'm still working on the third.

By this time, my credit scores had improved nearly 100 points with the removal of the collection items and 30 day late payment marks along with every util % drop.  My scores were sitting in the high 600s and I decided to leverage this and apply for one more TL, as not to negatively affect my AAoA which was sitting at around 5 years.  I applied for a Discover IT and was approved for another $8k CL and asked for a CLI on an existing CC but was declined.  I leveraged my recent Discover approval in a recon call to my CC company and was ultimately approved for the initial CLI I had requested.  With my credit increases, I had increased my total revolving credit lines 10x since late April, and along with the payments I had made on my initial CCs, my util now sits at 12%.

Currently, I only have ONE missed 30 day payment on my report, an AAoA at an average of 4.5 years, over $22k in TLs with 12% utilization and FICO scores that are in the 700s across all 3 CBs.  That's a movement of a maximum of 137 points (EX), and a minimum of 101 points (TU).  This entire movement occured within 30 days.  

At the end of it all looking back, I really cannot believe I hadn't taken action sooner.  Understanding how the scores were calculated was really the first step in fixing the issues I had, so I really have to thank myFICO.com tremendously as all the information I gained was pretty much exclusively from here.  I'm still a bit in shock that the scores are so easily 'manipulated', but in a good way.

I want my story to encourage anyone thinking about taking action on their credit that huge movements are possible in a short period of time.  Although everyone's situation is different, I will say that I was lucky that all my collection amounts were under $100 and PIF when I got the collection notices immediately.  This probably helped when asking for them to be removed.  Additionally, the fact that I had some of my CCs for years and had only missed one payment on each probably also made them more likely to forgive me once.  I know a lot of people out there are starting out a lot worse than I did, but change is absolutely possible, and if you're determined can happen extremely quick.

I'm now going to garden for a while and in a few months attempt to refinance my car which is sitting at a staggering 2 digit APR%.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to answer or help in any way that I can.  I wish everyone the best, and success with their credit repair as I know exactly how it feels to be overwhelmed by the weight of it all.  The best thing to know is that things CAN change, and it just takes that first step to make it happen.  Take baby steps, tackle one item at a time, and make progress as you can.  You never know until you actually try, and you may just surprise yourself with how fast the process moves.

Edit: After reading this, I didn't realize how long winded it was... here's a TL;DR with bullet points and the strategy I used...

1. Reduce Util % immediately where you can, this is the fastest way to improve your score in a short period of time.
    2. CALL your creditors first and ask for payment forgiveness or CA removal.  Sometimes they'll simply agree over the phone.  If this doesn't work, star tthe GW process via certified mail.  The process is outlined many times in on this site.
    3. As you build your score, apply for new credit lines to further reduce your util % without needing to outlay additional cash.  Do not go crazy as this will reduce your AAoA (see item #4).
    4. Keep your number of applications low when applying for new credit (call and ask which reports are being pulled BEFORE you apply), attempt to spread inquiries over the 3 CBs if you can to not negatively affect your score.
    5. Use new TLs as you have success to leverage existing CCs into higher credit limits to further reduce Util % (you can sometimes get away with simply a soft inquiry this way and avoid a HP).  Remember, they work for you and they want to keep your business.  Use the backdoor numbers found in the Credit Card forum (stickied) if you need to.  Don't take no for an answer, especially if you've been with them for a while.
    6. Remember that anywhere else besides myFICO.com is a FAKO score and really doesn't matter.
    7. Be obsessive in checking your score and report if you have the means.  Keep an excel file that you update daily that includes your total CC util %, credit score, and action items that need to be resolved.
    8. Get in the right mind-set.  Be aggressive, be resiliant, be resourceful and take this seriously.  You're fighting a war for your financial future.  This could affect you for the rest of your life, give the matter the appropriate priority and attention in deserves.  Don't be like me and waste years before doing taking action that can be done today.
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
PeacefulP
Regular Contributor

Re: From sub-600 scores to 700 club in 30 days

Thanks for sharing! Very inspiring!
Starting Score: TU 634 EQ 614 EX 648 5/20/13
Current Score: TU 631 EQ 643 EX 641 8/7/13 (All Lender Pulled)
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge!
Message 2 of 14
mcf
Contributor

Awesome outline of the right path. Thank you for the effort and giving back to the community for sure! Ohh and congrats that is an awesome feat!

Starting Score:567Walmart TU 701, Credit Sesame 722, credit secure 701 credit karma 694Last Score: 689 TU/Walmart CK 645 Goal Score:800 CLUB
Last HP:2/2015 Util:9% CL:82KTake the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 14
CreditJunkie917
Frequent Contributor

Awesome story!!! Your story will give others the confidence that hope is not lost and there is light at the end of the tunnel!!! Inspiring!!
Amex PRG(NPSL), Amex BCE($5K), Amex Hilton($1K), NavCheck ($15K), NFCU CR Siggy($20K), USAA Amex($7K), USAA World MC($7K), CSP($2.3K), Chase Marriott($1.8K), Care Credit($2.5K), Cap1 QS($3.5K), VS($500), Cap1 Secure($200) Starting Scores(Jan 2013): FICO EQ: 643, TU: 552, EX: 567 Current Scores(Sept. 2016): FICO EQ: 672, TU: 703(?), EX: 682 In the Garden FOR-EV-ER!!!!! Cards and goals achieved! Let's grow and mature these babies!!!
Message 4 of 14
NewtoCredit80
Frequent Contributor

Your new discover card comes with 0% apr for 14 month. You should take advantage of that (would suggest ard 4k) and pay off part of your high interest car loan.
This will not affect your util dramatically and you would save interest charges.
Whatever money you save, keep paying the discover card over the next 14 month.

PNC Secured 2000 (Dec12), Chase Amazon 2000 (Apr13), CapOne Newcomer 2500 (May13), Citi dividend 3000 (May13), Discover IT 1000 (Jul13), Amex BCP 6000 (Jul13), Chase Southwest 10000 (Jul13), Chase Marriott 12000 (Oct 13), BofA Travel Rewards 5000 (Dec13)

- In garden till Dec 2014
Message 5 of 14
kblatt
New Contributor

@NewtoCredit80 wrote:
Your new discover card comes with 0% apr for 14 month. You should take advantage of that (would suggest ard 4k) and pay off part of your high interest car loan.
This will not affect your util dramatically and you would save interest charges.
Whatever money you save, keep paying the discover card over the next 14 month.

Yeah you're totally right about this... in fact as soon as my login online was ready before I even got my card, I called and initiated the balance xfer for this Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 14
creditjail
Regular Contributor

Great and encouraging story

FICO scores:EQ- 723 (6/13), TU- 722 (6/13), EX- ?
My Wallet- AMEX BCE-17.5K, Chase Freedom-6k, Cap1- 5K, BMO Harris-5K, Wells Fargo-2K,
Store Cards-Lowes- 8K, Ashley Furniture-6K, American Furniture-2.5K,

Message 7 of 14
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Great story to a great progress, your story just made my day.   I, myself, too, have just paid off all my CCs as of yesterday down to 1% (my CLs on all my CCs = $3021 together) w/ FICO EQ score of 562,  i'm hoping that my score will boost at the end of the month. Thanks again for sharing, and wishing all of you the best in rebuilding!

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 8 of 14
kblatt
New Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

Great story to a great progress, your story just made my day.   I, myself, too, have just paid off all my CCs as of yesterday down to 1% (my CLs on all my CCs = $3021 together) w/ FICO EQ score of 562,  i'm hoping that my score will boost at the end of the month. Thanks again for sharing, and wishing all of you the best in rebuilding!

Once those post you're going to see a huge bump!  You'll also get additional points for:

• Reducing Util to under the goal of 9%
  • Not having a card marked as 'maxed out' (80%+ usage)
  • Having $0 account balances on some of your credit cards

From there, the increases just keep coming!  Remember, you also get a boost when your average CC limit gets above $2k.  If you can get yourself into the mid 600 range you can probably get yourself a decent limit CC which will keep helping your score.  As my util continues to drop, all of my scores are STILL increasing.  I haven't even hit 9% yet.  My TU is now a 720 (FICO) up from 700 a few days ago.

It's a positive feedback loop once you get passed that initial hump so congrats on what you've done so far and I know you've got lots of good things to come!  If you could, update me in this thread in 30 days where you are.. I'd love to see you progress and I'm sure it'd be helpful to other people in similar situations as us.

Message 9 of 14
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Absolutely!  It's funny, as I was replying your thread this morning, I've got a text msg from FICO (monitoring) with a jump in score to 582- from 564.  I'm guessing it's the boost from my last TL being removed from the collection.  As far as I know, none of the CCCs have reported my new balance yet, but 'm feeling hyped!  Once again, thanks for the great story and sharing valuable info w/ other members.

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.