cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fruadelent Chase Credit Card was Charged off - HELP!!!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Fruadelent Chase Credit Card was Charged off - HELP!!!

I had an account opened up in my name by a family member (don't ask) and it went to collections and was charged off before I even knew.  I've been trying to have this removed from my credit reports but I haven't gotten anywhere with credit report disputes nor Chase.  Does anyone have a contact info, phone # and email to someone who can help at Chase?  Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Fruadelent Chase Credit Card was Charged off - HELP!!!

I assume that you are unwiliing to follow the identity theft process set forth in FCRA 605B, which permits you to obtain a block of the account without any involvement of the creditor by filing a police report and submitting to the CRA?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

I assume that you are unwiliing to follow the identity theft process set forth in FCRA 605B, which permits you to obtain a block of the account without any involvement of the creditor by filing a police report and submitting to the CRA?

Thanks for the response ROBERTEG

That is unfortunately my next step.  But is there any other way to have this removed?

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The problem with the FCRA dispute process is that it is basically a procedure requiring the furnisher to investigate, and if that reasonable investigation finds that the reporting is accurate, they can verify the accuracy, concluding the dispute.  If their documentation supports a finding that the account was apparently opened by you, they are not requried to conduct a private investigation and prove that you actually submitted the application.  Papers purporting to have been signed/authorized by you can reasonably support a verification.

For that very reason, congress amended the FCRA to include an identity theft process under section 605B that permits a consumer to get information blocked from their credit report without any involvement of, verification by,  or consent of the furnisher.

The price for blocking, however, is that the consumer MUST provide a copy of a police report, which is a sworn statement before a law enforcement agency that carries criminal penalties for any knowingly false statements.

Yes, you must file a police report, which then may result in an investigation by law enforcement of the party asserted to have used your identity.

There is no away around that requirement, as it is the accepted way to distinguish unsubstantiated assertions from those in which the consumer is willing to subject themselves to their own criminal prosection.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.