Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated Future Dentist

tag
futuredds16

Frustrated Future Dentist

Hello All,

It took me a while to join this site because I thought hard about how I could put that $15 towards my debt. Anywho, I am starting dental school this year and I have BAD credit. Over the past couple months I have been putting most of my paycheck from my $37,000 salary towards paying it off. I am 25 years old and lets just say that I was credit "stupid" in my younger years. My total credit/debt is around $4000. I currently have two credit cards which I first got last year and have never paid late.

My current Exp FICO is 550 which is extremely depressing since I have been working hard to pay off old balances.

I just hope that within the 4 years I am in dental school that I can reach the 70's.

Anybody know the best course of action or can provide any advice on how to stay positive. Depressed future dds student.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
JuJuBee84
Regular Contributor

Re: Frustrated Future Dentist

I would start by sending Goodwill letters out to for any paid items that are showing "negative" in your credit report. You can find lots of great samples here. Basically, you are asking the creditor to forgive your past mistakes and either remove the tradeline or the associated negative payment history.

Next, I would work on the unpaid items. You can offer a PFD (Pay for Delete) letter. In exchange for paying, the creditor agrees to remove the derog.

This should give you a boost in your score. Best of luck!

Message 2 of 3
theagent26
New Contributor

Re: Frustrated Future Dentist

FutureDDS16,

Hello. I can't believe I just read your post a few minutes ago, because it was my exact story in 2004! I graduated from dental school in 2008, and am much happier having taken control of my finances. You should PM me, because I can tell you the things I should have done while in school. I learned a lot from my mistakes, and maybe you can too!

Starting Score: EQ 593 TU 606
Current Score: EQ 680 TU 682 EX 684
Goal Score: 700's baby let's get it!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.