cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated, can't get my score to increase

tag
mimismom

Frustrated, can't get my score to increase

I filed bankruptcy 2009, have had 3 late payments in last two years (30 day late). Late payment Aug 2012, Sept 2012. June 2012.

I have cc, which are all close to being maxed, Capital One, $930-bal, $1000 limit, Capital One, $250-bal, $500-limit, First premier, #1) $27-bal, $300-limit, #2) $300-bal, $400-limit, Credit first, $400-bal, $1200-limit. I know I need to pay the cc down below 30%.

I also have about 8 unpaid medical collections within the last 2 years, and verizon unpaid collection, one paid cable collection which reported 1 month before I paid in full June 2013. I had no idea til I pulled my credit report to see where I stand.

What else can I do to boost my scores? I am wanting to get my score up to at least 640 so I can purchase a home. Any idea how long it will take for my score to increase to that? I am so tired of renting.

Aug 2013- EQ-561, EX-566 

Hi mimismom,

Welcome to the forums.I edited your post,but I didnt change the contents, I hope you don't mind.

Having spaces/phargraphs it's easier to read,you may see more replies this way. (smiley face)

If you wish to "edit", click on options (upper right corner of your message) then click on edit. --Lightnin-myFICO mod

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Frustrated, can't get my score to increase

Besides the util issue, start with writing GW letters on your lates. Are they with the and lender? For the CAs, try and negotiate PFD's.

Getting yor credit back on track is possible but its going to take work. Since the bk, it looks like you are not re establishing - time to fix those baddies, get your util down and do not app for anything until you are in your home.
Message 2 of 3
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Frustrated, can't get my score to increase

Lexie is right about getting your credit back on track, but it will take work. IME, don't get in a hurry, because mistakes can be made.

Buying a home will be the Biggest purchase, you will EVER make.Smiley Happy  You want to do it right the first time because you don't want to go back to renting again.Take your time and you'll be so glad you did.IME,living below your means, is the answer. You may need to change your ways, I mean the way you spend money and save money.

I'm sure you know already, what's hurting your CS is the high balances on CC's, lates payments and the collections on your CR.

For the best CS (credit score), balances need to be below 9% of the CL (credit limit).

A paid collection hurts the same, as an unpaid collection on your CS. Paying a collection will not improve your CS.

But now if, the collection is no longer reporting, then it's no longer hurting your CS either. I hope that makes sense. 

Recent collections can hurt a FICO by 80-100pts in the beginning,then they tend to hurt less and less as time going on.

There are 2 types of collections with CA's,assigned or sold.

Debts that are assigned to a CA, means OC still owns the debt and the CA is only helping the OC on collecting the debt.

Debts that are sold to CA, means the OC is out of the picture now and the CA is the one you have to deal with now.

Also, if the OC sold the debt to a CA, the OC must change the balance to $0.    

Let's start off with.....Where did you get your scoresare they FICO's?  

Also, Do you have the funds, to pay the medical collections? If not, do you have less or more then half?

Take a breath, you can do thisSmiley Wink Talk with you, again soon

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.