Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Frustrated

It really shouldn't be this difficult.  Smiley Mad

If a person honestly doesn't owe a debt, has paid the OC, and has irrefutable proof that the debt was paid, why is it so hard to get that information removed from credit reports?  It really should be as simple as providing that proof to the CO and/or CA since it was their error.

So overwhelmed. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
GregB
Valued Contributor

Re: Frustrated

This is a bit confusing.

If you never owed a debt and the OC turned you over to a CA in error then you should be able to get the OC to remove their negative and pull the collection back from the CA who will remove their collection.

If you actually owed a debt and the OC turned it over to a CA then it WAS late and WAS a collection. Once it is paid, then it shows as paid but isn't automatically removed from your reports.

Somewhere in between those is an actual debt to the OC. You paid it and they erroneously turned you over to collection anyway. That should get the collection removed, not just marked as paid - but the negative to the OC would remain.

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for replying, GregB.  And the reasons you've laid out are exactly why I'm so frustrated.  These were medical debts that were paid directly to the OC well before they were apparently sent to collections.  There was absolutely no reason why the debts should have been sent to collections since they were paid (and we have proof).  This was completely the fault of the OC (same OC in both situations).  However, I have read on this site that the OC can't "pull back" debt from CAs, that I'm going to have to just deal with the CAs. 

Message 3 of 7
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

If you owed OC something and paid it to OC and have proof of that, there is NO REASON some CA can have a negative tradeline on your record. This should be pretty straight forward to get it removed by DVing the CA. If the debt is settled with the OC, they wont be able to validate it. You then report to the bureaus and it will be gone.

Unless I don't understand how this works.

Message 4 of 7
Momof5
Frequent Contributor

Actually, OCs can and DO pull back accts from CAs......most especially when it was their mistake.

Write an email to the hospital CEO (or whatever medical facility) and explain what happened, that you are distressed about this and that you expect that they will correct their mistake post haste.  And then drop the line, "I so want to work with you on this.  I would hate to get an attorney involved."

I BET you get instant gratification.  Smiley Very Happy

Starting Score: 472
Current Score: EQ:703 TU: 729 EX:737
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 7
GregB
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for replying, GregB.  And the reasons you've laid out are exactly why I'm so frustrated.  These were medical debts that were paid directly to the OC well before they were apparently sent to collections.  There was absolutely no reason why the debts should have been sent to collections since they were paid (and we have proof).  This was completely the fault of the OC (same OC in both situations).  However, I have read on this site that the OC can't "pull back" debt from CAs, that I'm going to have to just deal with the CAs. 

If the OC is local, I would just show up and demand this to be solved instantly or go ahead and sue them in small claims court. I would insist on knowing the individual who submitted your account to collections. You can get their attention for asking for their work hours and where they should be served legal process. I would sue that individual and the OC in small claims court separately. Many jurisdictions don't allow small claims suits for consequential damages so be careful and document as many actual damages as you can.

Message 6 of 7
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

This is simply not true. If you read enough posts you'll see that OC's do this very thing and actually quite often. The only condition is that the OC still has to own the debt. If the OC has sold the debt then no the OC can't help you and you have to work with the CA. But this doesn't seem to apply to your situation since the OC was previously paid.

I tend to agree that a DV to the CA would be in order. I don't see how the CA can validate if the debt was paid which means there is no debt to collect.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.