cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated

tag
BeachGurl

Re: Frustrated

So...my husband is still whining about being declined for his stupid lawnmower.  I went into Credit Sesame today (and YES i know it is not 100 percent accurate, but I refuse to pay for the score) and it shows him with a 701 credit score.  No delinquencies, and offers to reduce our mortgage and low interest auto loans.

I checked Credit Karma and it has him at 624 BUT with no delinquencies at all and says his score is low due to lack of credit - he has no credit cards, no loans, no mortgage, no car loan.  They recommend getting credit to build his credit.  That sounds dumb to him, but I get it.

So, just because I am sick of his whining, I went and clicked on one of the offers for a car loan (he iwas considering purchasing a vehicle until the lawn mower nightmare).  I know that this will give him a hit with a hard inquiry, but figured it can't hurt any worse...

He was approved for a car loan at 1.99 percent....just sent something off about refinancing our mortgage at a lower rate for 15 years, and am waiting to see what happens.

The credit score he looks at all the time is through his bank, a service he pays for, and it is not 100 percent accurate either.....

My question is...should I consider applying for one of the bajillion credit card offers he gets in the mail to see what happens, or should we just wait and do this car loan.  I firmly believe if he used more credit, his scores would rise.  

Right now, on two reports, he still has three outstanding charge-offs (the three that REFUSE to provide any verification) but on the third one, he only has two (Chase either does not report to Experian or Experian has removed them.)  I have just sent off ANOTHER documentation letter to Cap One showing the account they say is closed was paid.  Then I am down to Dell who I KNOW is wrong but they won't send me anything to prove it....

I recently wrote an article on rebuilding credit - it was a testimonial from a guy who did it on his own, and he said he did it through getting small credit cards and paying them off each month, and then requesting credit increases every six to nine months.  Just wondering if he is blowing smoke or that really is what we need to do...my husband could EASILY get a secured card from his bank (I actually think they may give him an unsecured) as he has plenty of cash in there.

In all honesty, we could just sit and wait this out, but he is driving me nuts....we may need to purchase a car for our daughter before she leaves for college (which he could do out of savings but he would rather whine about his credit rating).  Don't get me wrong, I KNOW a good credit rating is important, but dear God, he is acting as if his life is over.

Message 11 of 13
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Home mortgage..........  Mine was opened with Embrace back in 2011.  The servicer they used (one who collects the money), changed.  It took about 100 days for it to start reporting again.  I dont remember the score doing much of anything immediately when it started back reporting.  But dont sweat the mortgage, it will go back to reporting.

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 12 of 13
BeachGurl

I know that, and you know that, but he refuses to believe me that with NO open accounts, his score is going to take a hit...kind of sucks because with it so low, he honestly will have trouble getting credit (I do know that some of it is still those stupid three accounts - which are due to drop off next year - and some of what I read on here is that they may not be hurting him as much as I originally thought it was since they really are so old. 

I am seriously considering just contacting them and offering a settlement just because I am SO tired of dealing with this, but know that is crazy because 1) we don't owe them 2) it is almost off the report anyway 3) they refuse to do what they are required to do, which I firmly beleive is because they hope that it will just get paid off to get it of the report.

I do hope Congress looks into this (if they ever go back to work) and begins requiring the creditor to provide documentation of the debt to the debtor NOT simply verify a social security number with the bureau as they do now.  Chase even attempted to stick us with an IRS bill by sending in a "Cancelled Debt" form..we challenged, and Chase could not or would not provide any documentation to the IRS, and they found in our favor....seriously frustrating.

I figure the mortgage will reappear in a few months...until then, we may be stuck, although if we go with the auto loan, that may help too...still waiting for them to call me to verify all the info....might be fun to go car shopping this weekend Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.