Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated

tag
WallowinginVA
Established Member

Frustrated

I have been on this boards trolling for a while. It is so frustrating and embarrassing to get denied for a loan over and over again. Here's my gripe.

The only active activity I have are 2 credit cards that I opened in 2008 and last year. Both have small credit lines $250-$300, I opened it thinking it will help me at least get my credit score moving. I have been paying on time, if anything paying it down, but it doesnt seem to do anything.

My credit score is the same as it was last year. Ilecs have been gracious enough to give me some advice on what steps I need to take. I have done some, still waiting on others. I just have to say, having bad credit doesnt necessarily mean bad people, there are circumanstances in our lives (for me, 2005 was a BAD BAD year) that sometimes we have to make a choice.  I would like to get my scores moving, be at a decent score where I can buy a house and go from there.

It doesnt help that you make $100K a year - no one seems to look at that. I am sometimes amazed how some people (no judgements here, just from what I read) are able to obtain a loan, have lower scores than I do, make less and yet get approved.

I am at a stand still. Smiley Sad

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
KeepSwimming
Regular Contributor

Re: Frustrated

Hi Wallowing,

I totally get this. I had 10 year credit history that was excellent. Jobless for a few months, and late payments hit in early '09. Trying to clean it up has been slow and I haven't made a lot of progress yet. I have DVs, PFDs and GWs out. I literally keep a log in Excel of what dates I send them so I'm on a routine, and not a single thing yet.

It's extra frustrating that I regained employment quickly at $90k+ a year, but it makes zero difference. I just keep mailing and plugging away, and assume it's a numbers game where eventually I'll hit paydirt and someone will accept a PFD.....something, anything!!

Starting Score: TU: 550 EQ: 556 (pulled 6/2010)
Current Score: (pulled 4/18/11) TU: 668(pulled 4/18/2011) EQ: 741
Goal Score: Above 700 on both

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@WallowinginVA wrote:

I have been on this boards trolling for a while. It is so frustrating and embarrassing to get denied for a loan over and over again. Here's my gripe.

The only active activity I have are 2 credit cards that I opened in 2008 and last year. Both have small credit lines $250-$300, I opened it thinking it will help me at least get my credit score moving. I have been paying on time, if anything paying it down, but it doesnt seem to do anything.

My credit score is the same as it was last year. Ilecs have been gracious enough to give me some advice on what steps I need to take. I have done some, still waiting on others. I just have to say, having bad credit doesnt necessarily mean bad people, there are circumanstances in our lives (for me, 2005 was a BAD BAD year) that sometimes we have to make a choice.  I would like to get my scores moving, be at a decent score where I can buy a house and go from there.

It doesnt help that you make $100K a year - no one seems to look at that. I am sometimes amazed how some people (no judgements here, just from what I read) are able to obtain a loan, have lower scores than I do, make less and yet get approved.

I am at a stand still. Smiley Sad

Unless you are just venting, I would need more information in order to give advice.

I totally agree that 2005 was a horrible year.  That is when all my woes started.

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What are you scores wallowing?  A good tool to figure out how to increase your scores would be to get a recent credit report or score.  With the scores that I receive on this website comes a listing of what aspects of my credit profile are negative and positve.  If you do this then you will see what's hurting your scores and whats the best way to attack the problem. If your report is a month old or less then you can you a score simulator to see who certain actions would affect your score.

Its important for you to realize that some negative things take more time to fix than others.  Also, I hope you know that your scores take more than you active accounts into consideration.  Stay positive and don't despair.  I was in the 630's, but now I'm up to 750 after a year.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You make $90,000 keepswimming?  Where do you work friend?  Are they hiring?  Can you hook me up? Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 8
epigurl4credit
Valued Member

Wallowing,

I know how you feel. Sometimes life deals you a hard blow. The early 00's were very bad for me. Divorce, life changes, and other things. I love this board, although I do not post a lot. We are all in this together. I was soooo discouraged the other day when I was approved for an auto loan but had to put 20% down due to past baddies. Because of this board, I went from a TU FICO 599 to 689 in just over a month just by learning how to be a wise consumer and actually READING my credit report- sending out 2 GW and receiving a positive responses, getting Chrysler Financial to be nice ( and I used to call them the devil), and disputing errors. Now, will EXP and EQ be that easy, HECK NO!! I will be very frustrated. I already see changes that only amount to single digits (starting point =mid-high 500's) Smiley Sad

I too, have a GREAT job and salary but have been SOO embarrassed by my credit. So much so that I avoided looking at it for years. Didn't need to IMO back then. But I am committed to joining the 700 club now, one report at a time Smiley Happy

My best (novice) advice is to hang in there, keep reading, keep asking questions, keep plugging away, and be diligent.   One TL at a time......

Message 6 of 8
marie1981
Valued Member

@epigurl4credit wrote:

Wallowing,

I know how you feel. Sometimes life deals you a hard blow. The early 00's were very bad for me. Divorce, life changes, and other things. I love this board, although I do not post a lot. We are all in this together. I was soooo discouraged the other day when I was approved for an auto loan but had to put 20% down due to past baddies. Because of this board, I went from a TU FICO 599 to 689 in just over a month just by learning how to be a wise consumer and actually READING my credit report- sending out 2 GW and receiving a positive responses, getting Chrysler Financial to be nice ( and I used to call them the devil), and disputing errors. Now, will EXP and EQ be that easy, HECK NO!! I will be very frustrated. I already see changes that only amount to single digits (starting point =mid-high 500's) Smiley Sad

I too, have a GREAT job and salary but have been SOO embarrassed by my credit. So much so that I avoided looking at it for years. Didn't need to IMO back then. But I am committed to joining the 700 club now, one report at a time Smiley Happy

My best (novice) advice is to hang in there, keep reading, keep asking questions, keep plugging away, and be diligent.   One TL at a time......

I feel the same way sometimes. My mom filed BK and she has a higher score than me. I can only blame myself for my past credit mistakes,  I bought my house when I was 20 and had car loans since I was 18, so I figured my credit didn’t matter since I already had what I needed in life. Well, I was wrong! I was spending too much and almost lost my house and no one would refinance me and when my SUV broke down, no one would give me a loan to repair it.  I’m so glad I found this forum, because there is so much good advice here.  Once I started caring about my credit, I have seen it slowly increase.  It just takes time and patience. Good Luck!

7/2/10: TU-533 EQ-585 EX (PLUS) 580

GOAL-620 BY 12/10

Message 7 of 8
WallowinginVA
Established Member

Hi Epigurl

Wow, great jump on the scores. My TU scores are lower. do you know in the last month my score went from 601/584/594 and today 599? LOL. As mentioned on the 1st post, my very recent activity, are 2 credit cards with measly credit line. My credit score hasnt improved at all. I do have accounts in collection that should be falling off by mid next year, but really, who wants to wait, right?

I just get confused with which ones I should PFD, PIF, scared that it will only create more mess and my scores to go low. I went to a CU today and applied for a loan, I asked her what credit scores they look at, she said, you need to at least have 560. Great, I have more than that! BUT for some reason, they were having  issues pulling up credit reports so she was going to call me back, lo and behold, its already 630 and not a peep.

I am still frustrated but i know I gotta start doing something.

I hope all is welL!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.