Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frustrated!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Frustrated!

I just recently began my rebuild and I got a Cap One secured Feb 15th and also have a credit one unsecured card. I have a 9year old BK and a paid tax lien along with several other baddies that have all been paid off and closed since the first of the year. My fico was 514 two weeks ago and I have since had another account removed from my reports so I would assume it went up. But I still can't get approved for an unsecured Capital One card. Any advice on what my next step should be or how long I should wait to re app? Once I get the Cap 1 cards my plan is to drop the credit one card when the year is up ( it's a fee hog!) and then just garden for the next two years. I have 5 baddies and my BK all due to fall off by 6/2017 and was hoping to be building with a Capital one card so that when those accounts fall off I'll have some really good accounts on there and I should receive a pretty substantial increase in score, but Cap one isn't going along with my plan! ...lol
Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Frustrated!

Are any of the baddies Cap1?
Message 2 of 26
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

You may want to keep on using that secured card for next 6 months or so. Also if you can try not to use Credit One as it has a lot of fees with everything. Feb 15th was about a month ago.

Message 3 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I just recently began my rebuild and I got a Cap One secured Feb 15th and also have a credit one unsecured card. I have a 9year old BK and a paid tax lien along with several other baddies that have all been paid off and closed since the first of the year. My fico was 514 two weeks ago and I have since had another account removed from my reports so I would assume it went up. But I still can't get approved for an unsecured Capital One card. Any advice on what my next step should be or how long I should wait to re app? Once I get the Cap 1 cards my plan is to drop the credit one card when the year is up ( it's a fee hog!) and then just garden for the next two years. I have 5 baddies and my BK all due to fall off by 6/2017 and was hoping to be building with a Capital one card so that when those accounts fall off I'll have some really good accounts on there and I should receive a pretty substantial increase in score, but Cap one isn't going along with my plan! ...lol

stupidisasstupiddoes,

I understand the frustration but rebuilding from a very bad situation has its limits in the short term and only time can heal some of it. Have you actually app'd the Cap1 CC's or just tried the pre-qual site? I ask because many people never get an official "OFFER" but are ultimately approved when they fill out the full app. Cap1 won't ding your credit if you are not approved so if you haven't gone all the way through an app maybe you should try it with the Platinum 1st.

Message 4 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have an old charge off from Capital One, but I've read on here from others that did and still got approved. The C/O is due to fall of my report in December.

I did apply and got denied, and I did get an inquiry on my report from it.

I guess I'll just use these cards for a few months and try again this winter.

Thanks guys
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

stupidisasstupiddoes,

I understand the frustration but rebuilding from a very bad situation has its limits in the short term and only time can heal some of it. Have you actually app'd the Cap1 CC's or just tried the pre-qual site? I ask because many people never get an official "OFFER" but are ultimately approved when they fill out the full app. Cap1 won't ding your credit if you are not approved so if you haven't gone all the way through an app maybe you should try it with the Platinum 1st.

+1 on that! I have NEVER been pre qualified on Cap1.. I started with 2 Cap1 Platinum's by cold apping. My recent Venture approval was cold app'd as well. 

Message 6 of 26
jacetx
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You just got their secured card, work on building some positive history and the try the prequal site and see if something comes up. Also a 514 FICO is really low for any unsecured card from any lender.

Message 7 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
I do have an old charge off from Capital One, but I've read on here from others that did and still got approved. The C/O is due to fall of my report in December.

I did apply and got denied, and I did get an inquiry on my report from it.

I guess I'll just use these cards for a few months and try again this winter.

Thanks guys

Hmm, that's strange because I have 3 Cap1 CC's (Plat PC'd to the QS, QS1 & Quicksilver Visa Rewards) I cold app'd them all. In fact, I app'd the Visa twice before I got approved and had no INQ.

Seems there's something fishy going on there.

Ding, ding! donny10

Message 8 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. I knew that 514 was really low, but I saw some people on here were getting approved with scores in that range so I thought I'd give it a shot. I think I'll take your advice and just get some positive payment history with them and try again next winter/ spring after a lot of my bad accounts and BK fall off. I think I'll see a pretty substantial increase by then. Thanks again
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jace8602 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You just got their secured card, work on building some positive history and the try the prequal site and see if something comes up. Also a 514 FICO is really low for any unsecured card from any lender.

+1,

I missed that when I read the post. Yeah, you'll need to be in the mid500's for Cap1 unsecured.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.