Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GECRB

tag
WillF360
Regular Contributor

GECRB

Hey Guys & Gals, I have been trying to deal with GE Capital on a Paypal account, and I'm getting nowhere. I need some of you who are smarter than I am (most of you), to chime in and let me know your thoughts.

I have no clue what the account was (it was in connection with my Paypal account), I'm 99.99% sure that I did not open it nor utilize it, could have been my ex, as she did that for several other accounts. Reported 120 days late, every month since 2008. Wreaking havoc on my score. I've tried to contact, nobody could help me figure out what it was, or provide information on it, but it always came back "verified" on my disputes with the CRA's.

Fast forward, I paid GE Capital in full on 3/22, it was cashed 4/1. On my newest statement, it says that the balance is $0, Closed. Written Off.  Then it says: Sold to: Encore Capital.  But they also show the payment of $300 (recent payment), paying it in full.

Now, when I call GE, they're telling me that I have to deal with Encore as it was sold.  I paid GE, GE Cashed the Check. They can't legally sell the account, can they? It's beyond frustrating to say the least.  One agent said "Oh, we transferred that payment to Encore Capital..." so either Encore Capital cashed a check in which they weren't a "payee" on which I don't think since the credit report lists the payment as received and reported by GE. 

What on earth should I do?  I'm at a loss. 

In the Garden since 9/15/13... Goal Date 4/15/14 (WISH ME LUCK)
Closed on First Home 9/13/2013: USDA RURAL HOUSING
Lender Pull 7/25- EQ 673, EX 693, TU 670
Credit Card Approvals: 9/15- Discover It $4500; Chase Freedom $3500; Amex Blue $5000
Goal Score: 720 | Starting Scores (2/12): EQ 493, EX 521, TU 463
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GECRB

@WillF360 wrote:

Hey Guys & Gals, I have been trying to deal with GE Capital on a Paypal account, and I'm getting nowhere. I need some of you who are smarter than I am (most of you), to chime in and let me know your thoughts.

I have no clue what the account was (it was in connection with my Paypal account), I'm 99.99% sure that I did not open it nor utilize it, could have been my ex, as she did that for several other accounts. Reported 120 days late, every month since 2008. Wreaking havoc on my score. I've tried to contact, nobody could help me figure out what it was, or provide information on it, but it always came back "verified" on my disputes with the CRA's.

Fast forward, I paid GE Capital in full on 3/22, it was cashed 4/1. On my newest statement, it says that the balance is $0, Closed. Written Off.  Then it says: Sold to: Encore Capital.  But they also show the payment of $300 (recent payment), paying it in full.

Now, when I call GE, they're telling me that I have to deal with Encore as it was sold.  I paid GE, GE Cashed the Check. They can't legally sell the account, can they? It's beyond frustrating to say the least.  One agent said "Oh, we transferred that payment to Encore Capital..." so either Encore Capital cashed a check in which they weren't a "payee" on which I don't think since the credit report lists the payment as received and reported by GE. 

What on earth should I do?  I'm at a loss. 

Maybe GECRB sold the debt to Encore before they received the check? If from 2008, I'd guess that it was sold prior to now. If you look on your CR for Encore, look for the "Date Opened". This is when Encore took over.

If GECRB had sold the account, they can still cash the check, but they were probably contractually obligated to forward the $$$ to Encore, who then reported $0.

GW both.

Message 2 of 3
WillF360
Regular Contributor

Re: GECRB

Hi ilecs!  Thanks for the reply! 

I just spoke with someone from GE who said that account was sold 3/27 of this year, the check was cashed 4/1.  Awesome.

I'll goodwill both. If you know of any good letters to start with, let me know. I'm all ears at this point, ha.

In the Garden since 9/15/13... Goal Date 4/15/14 (WISH ME LUCK)
Closed on First Home 9/13/2013: USDA RURAL HOUSING
Lender Pull 7/25- EQ 673, EX 693, TU 670
Credit Card Approvals: 9/15- Discover It $4500; Chase Freedom $3500; Amex Blue $5000
Goal Score: 720 | Starting Scores (2/12): EQ 493, EX 521, TU 463
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.