Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GOING CRAZY :/

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GOING CRAZY :/

Hello.

Let me start off by saying my credit issues are driving me crazy. In large part because i'm 21 with disgusting credit with no credit cards because I can't get one. I'm currently an unemployed student as well and it is so, so hard to maintain my life, let alone figure out how to solve my credit issues. I have a $770 medical bill on my report that I've agreed to start paying minimum $20 payments until I get a job to pay more. I also have a charge off account with GE/Carecredit for $1,000 and they closed and sold they account to some collection agency and I now owe them $1249 as of today.  I also have no open lines of credit considering I've been denied for every "easy" credit card out there. So all in all, I definitely have alot more negative than positive. My debts may not seem like much to many, but please consider i'm a broke, jobless college student. I've been looking for a job so hopefully in due time I can get hired and do something about my debts. Can anyone offer me any advice on how to best tackle and resolve my issues with the collection agency? Do you think they'll let me pay small payments for now as the medical billers did? Also, any other recommendations/advice will be greatly appreciated, as I am inexperienced in the world of credit. Thanks!

Experian:550

Transunion:547
Equifax: 559

=(

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Leadberry
Established Contributor

Re: GOING CRAZY :/

As a broke, jobless college student, nothing good can come to you from getting credit cards.  I would wait until you get a steady job to even think about applying for anything.  The collection agency will most likely be willing to settle the debt for a percentage of the amount owed--setting up a payment plan should also be no problem.  If you want that collection off your reports quick, you'll have to get the CA to agree to a PFD, but that will most likely require payment-in-full.

Do you get financial aid?  If you're 21 years old and your financial situation is that bad, you should be able to qualify for federal work study, which gets you a part-time job on campus.  Also, have you filed your taxes?  I would imagine you'd be able to qualify for the American Opportunity Tax Credit, up to $1000 of which is refundable.  This could be used to easily close up that collection account.

Furthermore, in order to help avoid those nasty medical bills, you should see if there are any community clinics in your area that offer services on a sliding scale.  There will usually be little-to-no cost for someone with no income.  Your school may even offer discounted medical care to students.  Information on discounted health care can usually be found on your city/county health departments' websites.

FICO Scores 800+
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.