Did you mean: 

GUYS PLEASE HELP... NEED SOME ADVICE - VERIZON ACCOUNT

tag
justrock
Frequent Contributor

Re: GUYS PLEASE HELP... NEED SOME ADVICE - VERIZON ACCOUNT

@Anonymous wrote:

@justrock wrote:

Federal tax liens can be removed once paid.  State tax liens can sometimes be removed, depends on which state you are dealing with.  Otherwise they stick for 10 years even though paid.

All 3 were issued in the state of Florida, would I be able to have them removed? One is from 2006 so should have passed the 7 year mark and fell off?

Tax liens are public records not collection accounts.  They stay for 10 years rather than 7.   I had one, I know.  I got really really lucky, there was a mistake on mine and when I disputed it the bureaus removed it altogether rather than correcting it.  It's been gone for 8 months even though it had another five years left to sit there.

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: TU 720 EQ 648
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 21 of 31
justrock
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Only Collections fall off after 7.5 years.. Judgements can stay on longer I believe it's 10-years. 

You hsould be more worried about your judgements getting them off then your Verizon account cause, those liens/judgements are definately holding you back more then a $220 Verizon Bill.

I have Verizon and have had 0 problems with them. My experience with Verizon has been Excellent.. They're easy to work with and if you pay your bill then you won't have any problems.  Any carrier is going to not like you if you don't pay your bill.

Other carriers wil work with you when you have non payment issues that are on your credit report.   Mine was not willful, I had information from Verizon (in writing) that was not correct.  Verizon is  miserable and their reps are obnoxious. I stand by my statement.  They have hurt me immeasureably over $59 that's been paid. I owed it a total of four months.

Message 22 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're very lucky. The thing is I wasn't even living in the state when this was filed. I had already moved but still had a Florida license.... Also I never owed them any money to begin with.... they were estimated since I didn't do my taxes. When I finally did my taxes they realized I didn't owe anything. Does that give me any ground to dispute it? How much did your score go up when you got it removed? Also with the IRS fresh start program its not possible to get it removed?

Message 23 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow, I can't believe so many people are saying theyre hard to deal with... I was thinking this would have been taken care of easily...

So, is it better to pay it in full or settle for lesser amount? Which would be better for my score? How many points do you guys think Im losing because of this verizon neg?

Message 24 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@justrock wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@justrock wrote:

Federal tax liens can be removed once paid.  State tax liens can sometimes be removed, depends on which state you are dealing with.  Otherwise they stick for 10 years even though paid.

All 3 were issued in the state of Florida, would I be able to have them removed? One is from 2006 so should have passed the 7 year mark and fell off?

Tax liens are public records not collection accounts.  They stay for 10 years rather than 7.   I had one, I know.  I got really really lucky, there was a mistake on mine and when I disputed it the bureaus removed it altogether rather than correcting it.  It's been gone for 8 months even though it had another five years left to sit there.

I also see LOTS of people saying 7 years from the date paid? How come you say 10 years? I'm going to contact the state of Florida on Monday.

Message 25 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

@justrock wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@justrock wrote:

"IRS has a new policy that will remove satisfied tax liens from your credit. On February 24th, 2011 the IRS announced new policies regarding the collection of unpaid taxes and liens. Specifically, if the tax payer pays their liens “in full” the IRS will “withdraw” them.

hope this helps"

This is what a user posted in a similar thread.

Message 26 of 31
justrock
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You're very lucky. The thing is I wasn't even living in the state when this was filed. I had already moved but still had a Florida license.... Also I never owed them any money to begin with.... they were estimated since I didn't do my taxes. When I finally did my taxes they realized I didn't owe anything. Does that give me any ground to dispute it? How much did your score go up when you got it removed? Also with the IRS fresh start program its not possible to get it removed?

You may have grounds to get them removed. Contact the Florida authorities.   I'm not sure how much my score went up, I wasn't score watching at the time. The IRS program applies to Federal tax liens only.  

Message 27 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ahhh and so this wouldn't work for me? Do you know who I'd contact in Florida about this?

Are you sure its supposed to stay on for 10 years rather than 7?

@justrock wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You may have grounds to get them removed. Contact the Florida authorities.   I'm not sure how much my score went up, I wasn't score watching at the time. The IRS program applies to Federal tax liens only.  

Message 28 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

We settled for a lesser amount before we really knew about how to truly fix the credit. My report is showing that it is paid and on equifax it is saying that it was legally paid for a lesser amount. I have heard that looks bad on your report- but I am not for sure how bad that is. Maybe others can chime in? For us it was a matter of getting it paid ASAP and the settlement amount they offered did that. Now we are trying to get them to completely remove the CO with no real success. They did however remove the collection item when we paid them so it isn't double dinging the credit. 

Message 29 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bump... can anyone else kindly chime in on this please?

Message 30 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.