Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW Inquiries - Why the hell not!

tag
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

GW Inquiries - Why the hell not!

Ok so I hit a brick wall with the GW's - I decided to GW inquiries now to see what happens - at this point I just need some forward momentum!!

Starting Score: TU:619 (02/24/2012) - EQ:629 (02/24/2012)
Current Score: TU:632 (06/21/2012) - EQ:672 (06/21/2012)
Goal Score: 740

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

Re: GW Inquiries - Why the hell not!

Ok I found a nice little letter and will be sending out ten today.  Below is a sample of the letter:

RE: Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

To whom it may concern,

While checking my personal credit report, I notice an inquiry made by your organization.

Since I have not, to the best of my knowledge, authorized anyone employed by your organization to make an inquiry, you are not legally entitled to make the inquiry. Therefore, I request that you contact the concerned credit bureau and remove the unauthorized hard inquiry immediately, under the Fair Credit Reporting Act, Section 1681b(c): Transactions Not Initiated by Consumer. I also request that you remove my personal information from your records. Please send me a written confirmation that you have complied with my requests.

If you believe that you possess sufficient documentation that supports your authorization to make the inquiry, please send me a copy to my current address so that I may verify its validity. 

Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter, and please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions or concerns.

Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The suggested letter is couched in terms of a direct dispute, and is likely to result in a dispute being reported to your credit file.

It is not presented in terms of a GW request.  They are apt to be confused by their obligation.

Did the party have permissible purpose to pull your CR?  Express consumer authorization is not required if they have a permissible purpose.

What is your business relationship with them that would have permitted their access?

I would be clear as to whether you are disputing, and if so, the basis for asserting a non-permissible purpose, or whether you are requesting their good-will.

If a GW request, arguments about their authority are not apt to foster an atmosphere of good-will.

Message 3 of 4
JohnPTEX
Frequent Contributor

I was looking into a possible mortgage and the broker submitted my credit without my permission to many many different mortgage companies - ten total over the course of three weeks - I certainly did not authorize the broker to do that, but impliedly I can see how there could be a "permission" issue as to the credit checker - I am going to start with that letter and if they come back as authorized then I will GW with the precise explanation

Either way I'll keep everyone posted

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.