Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW Letter Advice

tag
aimeelynne756
Established Member

GW Letter Advice

I am just starting to try to rebuild my credit and I am trying to write GW letters. But I just realized I didn't keep any of my old statements and no longer have the account numbers. Is it necessary to have my full account number to send a letter or should my name and phone number be OK? I am definitely not OK with including my ssn in these letters.

thanks

Aimee

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
FinanceGuy007
New Contributor

Re: GW Letter Advice

DO NOT include your SSN ever!  Your name, address, and a partial account number should be okay.  Have you obtain a copy of your credit reports? The information found in them will do just fine.  Personally, I never include my DOB, or SSN.

Starting Score 12/29/2010: 475 EQ FICO
Current Score: 585 EQ FICO (10/10/11) 583 TU FICO (10/24/2011) 598 EX FICO (10/10/11)
Goal Score 12/29/2011: 600

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 5
aimeelynne756
Established Member

Yes I have my credt report. Thanks for your help.

Message 3 of 5
bruiseviolet
Frequent Contributor

Just using the information provided on the credit report should be more than enough for them to look up your account! 

Good thinking- I'm in the same boat- NEVER give out my SS#.. no way!  =)

Message 4 of 5
winstars
Regular Contributor

I recently wrote a GW letter to Macy's for my GF with the last four digits missing as seen on her credit reports. We got a letter back from them saying essentially that that could not help without the last four digits. She luckily found an old statement and we have now sent another GW letter.

Starting Score: TU-685 (FICO) EQ-674 (FICO) EX-713 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Current Score: TU-800 (FICO) EQ-812 (FICO) EX-800 (PLUS SCORE FAKO)
Goal Score: 815

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.