Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW Letter After You've Already Settled?

tag
bpohl93
Valued Member

GW Letter After You've Already Settled?

So, not that anyone knows me on here, but I have posted a few threads about my activity. Yesterday, I paid off the final account on my credit report, leaving only my house and student loans as debt (both of which are in great standing). I was able to arrange a few PFD's, which was good. However, with others, I just paid a settlement amount with no PFD. I've been reading artound this forum and realize that my only option is a GW letter to the companies reporting "Settled for Less Than FUll Balance". However, as everyone knows on here, there is also the OC reporting a CO. So, my question is, do I need to send a GW letter to both the CA and the OC? Or, do I just need to send it to the CA? Any help would be much appreciated.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GW Letter After You've Already Settled?

@bpohl93 wrote:

So, not that anyone knows me on here, but I have posted a few threads about my activity. Yesterday, I paid off the final account on my credit report, leaving only my house and student loans as debt (both of which are in great standing). I was able to arrange a few PFD's, which was good. However, with others, I just paid a settlement amount with no PFD. I've been reading artound this forum and realize that my only option is a GW letter to the companies reporting "Settled for Less Than FUll Balance". However, as everyone knows on here, there is also the OC reporting a CO. So, my question is, do I need to send a GW letter to both the CA and the OC? Or, do I just need to send it to the CA? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi there.

Yes you'll have to deal with the OC and CA separately. For example the OC  will have late payments and the CO that are not associated with the CA at all. A CA only handles collections. You'll need to GW both the OC and CA depending on what each of them is reporting.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 9/09 pulled by lender 802, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 2 of 3
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GW Letter After You've Already Settled?

And you mentioned "CA"s. If a CA is reporting, your goal should always be to get it removed. Changing the comments will never ever improve your FICO score with regards to a CA. You'd send a GW and ask for deletion.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.