cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW Letter Deletion... 1 down, a few more to go.

tag
SemperGumby
Contributor

GW Letter Deletion... 1 down, a few more to go.

I cannot thank the suggestions of those on this forum enough.

A little backstory. In 2007 I opened a Washington Mutual credit card with a $750 limit and was able to make the payments.  Then a few months later I accepted a much better paying job overseas, but that also left me without an income for almost 3 months.  The card then defaulted and although I paid it off, Washington Mutual closed the card.

The other day on a whim after reading here on the forums, I decided to call Chase and see if they would delete it from my credit report since although I defaulted, I did pay it off.  The guy on the phone was a bit of a jerk and used the "We didn't make a mistake" line.  So I figured to email Chase's credit card customer service.   Well I just got an email that because they can't find the account in their records that they will be removing it from all 3 bureaus. 

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
beb86
Valued Contributor

Re: GW Letter Deletion... 1 down, a few more to go.

Nice work!!!!! Good luck on the rest.

Message 2 of 8
maluba
Regular Contributor

Congrats!

Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 610
Goal Score: 650

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Cadillac-XTS
Established Contributor

Congrats

Message 4 of 8
BeachGurl

Oh my gosh!  I just posted about an issue very similar that I am having with Chase!  I had no idea they had purchased Washington Mutual, so when the Chase notation appeared on my husband's credit report, I contacted Chase stating the account was not ours.  They just sent me a copy of "correspondence" from us that showed the account was ours.  The correspondence was to a collection agency (that never appeared on the credit report) indicating we were working through CareOne to pay off the account back in 2007.  The account was charged of by Washington Mutual in 2007.  Chase NEVER owned it, but they are reporting it.  Now that I know that, I think I have more power.  I wrote to them today and said the reason we didn't think we had an account with Chase is because we didn't! 

Your story is so similar, so hoping they see that and remove it...it has one more year before it falls off, but this credit rating thing is driving my husband crazy (he has always had excellent credit....we figure the new "rules" are why his has dropped so drastically).  Chase is one...if I can get rid of them (and I had at one time!) only have to battle Dell and CapOne....

This gives me a glimmer of hope!

Message 5 of 8
SemperGumby
Contributor

I have a little more knowledge of the old WaMu stuff showing up as Chase.  Likely what will happen is that Chase will not be able to find the account in their records and because they cannot furnish proof of it, they will have to delete it.  I tried to call and the guy on the phone took a very hardline stance.  I emailed and it was fixed in 24 hours.  NOW I have to wait and see how long it takes to fall off my actual credit report.

Message 6 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Congrats OP!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 7 of 8
Epcot
Valued Contributor

Nice, Keep it up! Smiley Happy

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.