cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW Requesting Removal of Person from Joint Lease?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW Requesting Removal of Person from Joint Lease?

Hey all,

Starting out on my repair journey and making some headway so far (thanks to all of you, could NOT do this without you all). I just wanted to see if any of you have ever had any luck requesting the removal of a person from a joint lease after the lease was left on bad terms? I am trying to write a goodwill letter to get this item deleted from my mother's credit report because she only co-signed so I could live there and I feel bad that this is now impacting her credit. I will eventually try to do a PFD, but I want to try this route first so that she is no longer feeling the effects of this. Does anyone have any tips or recomendations?

Thank you all so much again for your help. You guys are great.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GW Requesting Removal of Person from Joint Lease?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey all,

Starting out on my repair journey and making some headway so far (thanks to all of you, could NOT do this without you all). I just wanted to see if any of you have ever had any luck requesting the removal of a person from a joint lease after the lease was left on bad terms? I am trying to write a goodwill letter to get this item deleted from my mother's credit report because she only co-signed so I could live there and I feel bad that this is now impacting her credit. I will eventually try to do a PFD, but I want to try this route first so that she is no longer feeling the effects of this. Does anyone have any tips or recomendations?

Thank you all so much again for your help. You guys are great.

If its already gone to default the chances are 99.9999% you both are on the hook till its settled. You may be able to GW the CA off her report once is paid but highly doubtful it will occur prior to.

Message 2 of 3
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: GW Requesting Removal of Person from Joint Lease?

Agree with gdale6 100%

A lease is  a written contract, in your case it makes both you and your mother responsible 'jointly and severally liable' for the payment of the lease. That language, or language like it, is usually somewhere in the lease.  If the lease has defaulted, the creditor is not going to remove anyone from which they can potentially collect payment. If the default is paid, then there might be a possibility that your Mother is released because it becomes moot once the default is cleared.

Is it only in collections at this point or has it gone to judgment already? You find out if you and your Mother have a judgment by going to your public records in the county where the property is located (or your county). If you have a judgment, then you will need to get a Satisfaction and record it rather than a PFD. If you have to get a Satisfaction, it might be possible to vacate the judgment after you have paid it. Not all states allow for a paid judgment to be vacated so check your state's statutes. Best to take care of it sooner rather than later because judgments can last 10 years (or 20 years) depending upon the jurisdiction and be renewed for the same amount of time, in some cases renewed indefinitely until paid. Lease defaults are particularly tough.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.