cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW a CU that already said "no" to removing lates?

tag
catzcradle
New Contributor

GW a CU that already said "no" to removing lates?

I sent a GW letter to a CU that I had an unsecured loan with. It's paid, never went to collection, but posting two 30 day lates from 2006. I sent them a GW in June of 2008 and got the following reply from someone in their "Risk Management" department:

"Unless the reporting was a credit union error, we are unable to remove any late payments that have been reported."

Should I GW again now that another year (and then some) has gone by, or should I just leave it alone? Is there any adverse action that they can take against me if I ask again? I was very nice in my letter. Smiley Happy

- Catz
12/01/09 TU 759 EQ 756

10/01/08 TU 697 EQ 659
07/05/08 TU 693 EQ 663 EX 711
06/01/08 TU 657 EQ 610 EX 670
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Re: GW a CU that already said "no" to removing lates?

I think you would get the same response as before. Secondly lates impact on your score lessen as time passes. Depending on the rest of your credit history having them (lates) removed may have very little affect if any on your score.
FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

catzcradle

send it again send them weeky until you are tired, not because they are tired of you.  GW works it just take the right timing i think.

Message 3 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

IMHO, the key to a good, renewed GW letter is to beef it up with sound reasons why it is to THEIR benefit to accept it, not just to pester them until they get tired.

Emphasize to them your years of business, your business with them, either in the past, or your future intent to give them more business in exchange for their GW, etc. 

Emphasis the business benefit to them.

De-emphasize such pleadings as my 'dawg just died, my roof is a'leakin, my wife just left me, I lost my job, it is hurting my credit score, etc.  That might just paint you as a worse, rather than better, future financial risk. 

Sell the benefit to them.  Look at it from the point of view of their gain, not yours.

Just my opinion.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.