cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW'ing a 90 day late on student loan. Possible?

tag
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

GW'ing a 90 day late on student loan. Possible?

Not really a rebuilding question per se, but about 3.5 years ago I was 90 days late on my student loan (sent in a deferrment request, they never got it, yada yada). It's the only late I've ever had. Since that time the loan has been transferred to another company. Would it be possible to ask the current company (Aspire resources) to kindly remove the ugly red flag on my account, or do I have to ask the former holder of the loan (I think it was directly through the DOE). And if so, does ANYONE know the address to send a GW letter to? I've been looking forever and can't find it Smiley Frustrated

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GW'ing a 90 day late on student loan. Possible?

You would have to ask whoever has posted the 90 day late.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 10
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

If it's in error, Give explanation. Ask to have it removed. If it was to not receiving notification, ask for a good will correction. If it was because of hardship give and explanation and ask for a good will correction/removal. Don't give up. It's took me 9 months to resolve this issue. Ask for a consumer advocate in Mgt with the lender to assist. I was calling and sending letters almost daily.
Message 3 of 10
SomeGuyOnTheWeb
Regular Contributor

I'll do that. Does anyone know where I'd send a letter to for the loan (directly through the DOE)?

EQ - 727
TU - 752
EX - 774
Message 4 of 10
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Go to your original lender's webpage (the one who you were in default with) and send them a letter. You may have to create a profile first. That's what I had to do. There will be a contact on there. Give them a week and call. If you get no where, as for a supervisor then as for a customer service advocate. Don't stop pushing even if they refuse. It took me 9 months but I did it!!!
Message 5 of 10
dapps06
Frequent Contributor

I hope it's possible, because I recently sent out a GW letter for the exact same reason. I have one 90 day late on each of my three loan accounts because of a lapse in deferment. I opened my first student loan with Sallie Mae in 2001, in 13 years this is the one and only blemish I've had with them. I first called and asked if they would remove it, they denied my request. Now I'm just hoping the letter has better success, if I remember to I'll update this thread when/if I get a response.

Message 6 of 10
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

Did they contact you? My issue was, they sent mine to an wrong email addy the school had on file. I found out when I pulled my credit report. I had called the school and ask when I would be receiving something. They simply told me the Dept of Ed would notify me. If a lender has an email, that's how they notify.
Message 7 of 10
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

I was even told by one of the employees. Keep going to the dispute process with all 3 bureaus. They have 30 days to respond. If they fail 1 time, they can no longer post and it will be removed!
Message 8 of 10
Jerel82TX
New Contributor

Do you work with Sallie Mae?

Message 9 of 10
Drsgwld
Frequent Contributor

No, but that doesn't mean that Sally Mae doesn't have an advocate.  If you get to the right person, they can work on your behalf and exsponge *sp? it!

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.