cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW letters, will they improve my scores?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW letters, will they improve my scores?

I have read a lot of the posts about writing goodwill letters to get rid of the 30, 90 and 120 day lates from two old closed credit card accounts (a citi bank student card and an Amazon store card). I have also read however, that once the lates are over 36 months old, they barely count against your score anymore. Both of these cards have been PIF and closed since 2012-2013. Is it worth it to send in GW letters? I definitely don't want them to come back and say that I am disputing anything since these accounts are closed, but don't seem to be hurting me too bad at all right now. Should I just wait them out until they fall off at the 7 year mark?
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
jacetx
Valued Contributor

Re: GW letters, will they improve my scores?

@Anonymous wrote:
I have read a lot of the posts about writing goodwill letters to get rid of the 30, 90 and 120 day lates from two old closed credit card accounts (a citi bank student card and an Amazon store card). I have also read however, that once the lates are over 36 months old, they barely count against your score anymore. Both of these cards have been PIF and closed since 2012-2013. Is it worth it to send in GW letters? I definitely don't want them to come back and say that I am disputing anything since these accounts are closed, but don't seem to be hurting me too bad at all right now. Should I just wait them out until they fall off at the 7 year mark?

Negative items in your reports have the biggest impact whenever they are reported. As years pass the effect of these tend to lessen. As far as sending the GW letters, I would do it, it might or might not do much for your scores but if you apply for something that has to go through manual UW it will definitely help.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.