Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW requests not working

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW requests not working

I've tried GW requests with 3 different companies and all 3 have told me it's illegal per the FCRA to remove any negatives from a credit report if the negatives are valid.

Conn's Credit (1 30-day late from Jan 2010 that I was hoping to get removed)

TXU Energy (collection due to not getting our final bill which they deny I never received it.  I paid it as it was $56 and it was a valid debt)

GMAC Mortgage (this one was an iffy anyway from what I had read.  We had to short sale our house due to the market and a job loss.  We successfully short sold it and was hoping to get the 120-day lates taken off as to mortgage companies these show the same as a foreclosure even though we didn't foreclose).

Anyone else deal with these companies?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: GW requests not working

All you can do is keep sending them.  Try different people in the company to send the letters to.  Try emailing someone in the company.

Message 2 of 8
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

Unfortunately, a lot of creditors will tell you that as a way to deny a GW request. It is not actually "illegal" - creditors are required to report accurate information; however, they can, at their discretion, chose not to report at all. Arguably, not reporting is not accurate, but the liability for a creditor is very small as they do have discretion. It's a fine line that a lot of creditors don't like to cross.

As the previous poster has said, just keep sending them. All it costs you is a stamp and eventually, you may catch someone on the right day and they remove it for you. A few of my GW successes only happened after MONTHS of sending letters and getting creative with working, delivery, etc. It's frustrating and discouraging, but when you get a "yes" it feels great!

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I even talked with someone from the executive office of the CEO at TXU Energy and she told me since they were not at fault they will not be removing the collection account (even though on TU and EQ it shows as an account) but since I paid it they will show paid in full with a zero balance. 

I just want this baddie off of my report.

Message 4 of 8
sjt
Senior Contributor

Goodwill adjustments are not illegal at all. In fact the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council has set guidlines for re-aging credit accounts.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 5 of 8
thirtyshort
New Contributor

Ok so your first attempt to GW didn't work.  Big deal!!!  All you have to do is keep bothering the crap out of them.  Find yourself some email addresses (yes plural) for the companies you need GW's from and email multiple people from those companies once a day.  It worked for me with a company that flat out told me no multiple times both via email and phone.  I just bugged the crap out of them until they caved.  Good luck with it and keep trying.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just got the "I'm sorry we cannot change the reporting of your loan" from my local CU regarding some lates even though I told them I took full responsibility for my relative's actions.

I've tried emailing the CEO of the local CU through an email address I thought was his but my email bounced back.  How do I go about finding an email address that will work?  I've googled all over trying to find it.

Message 7 of 8
MBOhio2
Established Contributor

There is no one-way to go about it... send emails (if you can find them, but sometimes you have to be very creative and it's easier with large credit companies), send letters, call, etc. Just keep trying over and over again! And ultimately, you may end up with some that never agree to GW delete... my husband has a few of those. He had a mortgage before we met with a few minor lates. We have harassed the heck out of Chase Motgage but they simply won't budge. Since they all fall off next year, we finally gave up and chalked it up as "not gonna happen."

Mid-2010 Starting Scores: FAKO EQ 476 FAKO EX 506 FICO TU98 575
July 2017 Current Scores: Approx 710 (waiting for official updates)
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.