Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW triggers dispute?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

GW triggers dispute?

Hi all,

I wrote a long GW to my mortgage compay to ask them not to report some of the most recent lates. I got a letter back saying "Sorry, can't do that." But now there is a dispute placed on all three CRs (I didn't dispute it at all... just threw myself at their mercy). Also, Equifax just updated that account through Sept (don't know why they are so behind) and my score jumped 28 pts. Thrilled about the points, but could the newly reported month do that? I can't see any other changes...

Thanks for any ideas...

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: GW triggers dispute?

It seems to be happening more and more. A GW can lead to a dispute.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is that a bad thing? Does it have any meaning at all?
Message 3 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

likewise wrote:
Is that a bad thing? Does it have any meaning at all?

Basically the dispute caused your FICO to change because the financial components of the mortgage account is no longer being scored, like your balance (factors out of your installment utilization), payment history, etc. Once the dispute clears, then, unfortunately, it goes back.

IMO, it isn't a bad thing. However, if you GW'd a 30-day on a TL that is at 0% utilization and all of your other cards are at 80%, for example, then a GW-led dispute would result in an increase in utilization to the 80%.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

So my recent score increases are only temporary? It's my mortgage, and I would think that if they discounted my mortgage altogether, even with lots of lates on it, that my score would not go up... it removes age of account and mix of credit etc.
Message 5 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, only temporary. Once removed, then the scores will go back.

Now, only the financial components are removed, other items like your history, mix, etc. are not removed during this. So, your history is the same.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.