cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GW unpaid COs that have no chance of being collected on?

tag
songsofexperience
Frequent Contributor

GW unpaid COs that have no chance of being collected on?

I have 4 accounts that report as "negative" because they are COs. All are from 2010 and none of them can be collected on. 

• One I paid off for less than the amount owed (and had I known more I would have tried a PFD).
  • The other three were sold to JDB. I was sued on all three:
    • On the first one (again, because I didn't know any better and because I was going through a rough time) I ended up with a default judgment against me because I didn't show up in court.
    • On the second, I showed up in court and won (CA completely removed from CR as per the rules).
    • On the third, I showed up in court and am waiting on the judge's decision.

All are now past SOL and no one can ever sue me again on these so I'm wondering if I should try to GW the OCs? I know this usually works best when you offer them something in return. In this case it really would just be GW. They are all set to fall off on 2017.

Has anyone had success with something like this?

Starting Score: 2/2013 EQ 535
Current Score My Fico: 5/23 EQ 808| EX 812 | TU 800
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
JustinS
Regular Contributor

Re: GW unpaid COs that have no chance of being collected on?

It doesn't hurt to try but depending on how shady the CA is I'd definitely say to keep current copies of all your credit reports so if you see something change you can detect it. I know with Palisades I've been dealing with how they re-aged the account on me instead of deleting it when it was paid. Again shouldn't hurt to try but just be cautious in doing so.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Expiration of SOL does not prevent a creditor from continuing to attempt to collect on an unpaid debt.

It means that they cant geet a court judgment ordering its payment, which can have its own period of enforceability.

An OC can contnue to call.  You can bar a debt collector from further communiations with you by sending a cease communication letter under FDCPA 605(c).

However, either can still continue to pull your credit report as long as the debt remains unpaid.

The charge-off and any reported collection can continue to appear in your credit report and affect your score for up to 7 years plus 180 days from the DOFD.

Even if credit report exclusion bars one from obtaining knowledge of the charge-off, the OC account itself can remain in your credit report, and showing no indication of payment of the debt, can raise questions.

And lastly, if asked in the future for disclosure of unpaid, delinquent debt, you would continue to have the obligation to disclose the debt.

As for requesting GW deletion of a CO for which the debt remains unpaid, I would not expect much good will from a creditor who is taking a loss.

Message 3 of 5
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@songsofexperience wrote:

I have 4 accounts that report as "negative" because they are COs. All are from 2010 and none of them can be collected on. 

• One I paid off for less than the amount owed (and had I known more I would have tried a PFD).
    • On the first one (again, because I didn't know any better and because I was going through a rough time) I ended up with a default judgment against me because I didn't show up in court.
    • On the second, I showed up in court and won (CA completely removed from CR as per the rules).

All are now past SOL and no one can ever sue me again on these so I'm wondering if I should try to GW the OCs? I know this usually works best when you offer them something in return. In this case it really would just be GW. They are all set to fall off on 2017.

You might have a shot at GW for the settled CO.  There's no harm in trying.

Since the judgment is a matter of PR, I don't think there'd be success in a GW there.  You may want to look here about how to vacate judgments (I admittedly know nothing on that topic).   And I guess we can just cross our fingers on the judge's verdict for the third case.   Good luck!

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@SunriseEarth wrote:

@songsofexperience wrote:

You might have a shot at GW for the settled CO.  There's no harm in trying.

Since the judgment is a matter of PR, I don't think there'd be success in a GW there.  You may want to look here about how to vacate judgments (I admittedly know nothing on that topic).   And I guess we can just cross our fingers on the judge's verdict for the third case.   Good luck!

There have been a few posters that went the GW route on paid judgments and it worked.  They sent the letter to the judge of the court.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.