Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening Questions

tag
driftless
Valued Contributor

Gardening Questions

Background:  I have one remaining baddy, a CO from a nasty CC and CA that is about to fall off.  Other than that my payments have been timely.  I have three credit cards:  Cap One platinum, Cap One QuickSilverone, and, a Merrick Bank Visa.  My credit utilization is, and will stay,, under 10%.  I will be using one the Cap One cards, paying, and then using again.  The Merrick Bank card was used the first month and then put away.  My Age of Credit History is low, under 2 years; I had been using a secured Cap One card that I closed once I received a Cap One unsecured card of the same credit limit: $3,500.00.  

My Goal: I would like to add upgrade my existing Cap One accounts and to add one to two new credit cards.  My wife just received a Chase Sapphire card with a large CL.   Ideally, I would like to have 3 credit cards with usable credit limits.  I will cancel the Merrick Bank card.

My Question:  While in the garden how often should I ask for CLI or to check for pre-qualified offers?  I was thinking either twice a year or once a quarter?  The cards that I am targetting are: Cap One QS or Chase Freedom and one business card, I am self-employed.   

So, what are your thoughs and suggestions?

Thanking you in advance,

driftless

CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Gardening Questions

As long as the CLI or prequalify is a soft pull i believe you can check as much as you like without harming your credit. Be sure to know which banks do soft vs hard pulls.

Message 2 of 17
driftless
Valued Contributor

Thanks.  I do know which banks do soft-pulls.  I am focused on Cap One and Chase.  I am sure that my wife received her Sapphire offer because she/we have accounts there.  I am planning on moving a personal and my business account to Chase for that reason.  

Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

How long have you had your Cap1 Platinum? If it has been longer than 2 statements go on chat and ask to upgrade to QS. I just did that earlier this week.
Message 4 of 17
driftless
Valued Contributor

Thanks, it has been almost 18 months. I will try that.

Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good luck!
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@driftless wrote:

Thanks, it has been almost 18 months. I will try that.

Cap One will give CLI's every six months. Here is what I did. First was get my Platinum cards upgraded to QS and QS1. One card had no annual fee and was upgraded to QS, the other one had a $59 annual fee, and was upgraded to QS1. After two rounds of CLI's, they were at $3500 and $2300, at that point, I combined them, rolling the QS1's limit into the QS cards limit, givng me one QS card, with a $5800 limit. The next day I applied for another platinum card (no AF), and was approved for $500. After the second statement, I got it upgraded to QS, and then a few days later I requested a CLI and got it increased to $1500. In a few weeks I should get my credit steps increase, and my other card will be eligible for the six month increase.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Norman - did you ask for the CLI through chat or the Luv button?
Message 8 of 17
driftless
Valued Contributor

Thank you for the advice.  I did contact Cap One via the chat module and receive CLI's and account upgrades.  I will ask to have both accounts combined once I receive another credit card.  

Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Where should your balance be when you request CLI on Chat?

My cards:
QS1 CL $500
Balance $0
Available Credit $500.
Age 2 statements old

PLATINUM CL $1000
Balance from last statement $0
Available credit $550 $450 pending charges
Age 1 statement old

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.