Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gardening

tag
Sobo
New Contributor

Gardening

What does gardening mean? I have seen that in people's signatures.

5/17/13 Starting 627
Current Score 776
Goal 800
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Re: Gardening

It's when you do not apply for any new credit for a certain amount of time. 

Message 2 of 5
kmids
New Contributor

I thought it was when you went on a credit application spree and you got new credit and when you "gardened" it meant that you didnt get any new credit and you just paid all your bills on time so that your credit score would rise.

Like at first your score might go down because you applied for a bunch new credit but after months of "gardening" when you paid ontime and small util then it would rise.

Message 3 of 5
DaBears
Senior Contributor

I should have worded it better, lol. Yes when you apply for credit you will use the credit with low util every month. You don't want any INQ's on your credit report either. The top 90% of people don't apply for credit or have INQ's for atleast 2 yrs.

Message 4 of 5
Angko
Regular Contributor

@kmids wrote:

I thought it was when you went on a credit application spree and you got new credit and when you "gardened" it meant that you didnt get any new credit and you just paid all your bills on time so that your credit score would rise.

Like at first your score might go down because you applied for a bunch new credit but after months of "gardening" when you paid ontime and small util then it would rise.

It's like going into hybernation (from app spree) until your TLs aged and your inquiries & baddies fall-off.

Current MyFico Scores as of Dec 2013: Fico EQ: 768 | Fico EX: 775 | Fico TU: 744
*** CSP: 5000 | BoA MC: 6400 | BoA Travel Rewards: 5000 | City TYP: 6500 | Discover IT: 7800 | Amex BSP: 6000 | Amex PRG: NPSL | Macys: 1500 ***
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.