TU-599
EQ-511
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Re: Garnishment Questions Please Help

Im sorry to hear about this....

As far as if the car was in your name, that is one thing... but i would think it is the same different if someone was a cosigner on a car.... i wouldnt think they would go after the cosigner if it had nothing to do with car loan......

What i am under the assumption of, it is the owners responsibility of having insurance on the vehicle...

That being said, in the police report - it should also say that he was the operator and i would present that to the agency that is attempting to come after you.

State that you are not responsible...

I would wait till someone who has been in the same shoes or has had the same situation to respond before listening to me though....

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 2 of 4
dharalex
Established Contributor

I think they are reaching. What I would recommend, if you can't afford an attorney, is find some traffic law attorneys in the phone book and get the 1 free initial consultation many give. You could also call your insurance agent and ask if that is a common practice. You could even as a policeman who would assume the blame. If it was your fault, wouldn't you get the tickets? Not!

Starting Score: TU:676;EQ:648 8/2011
Current Score: TU:738; EQ: 739 ;EX: 729 6/2012
Goal Score: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Current Score: 800
Goal Score: 850

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
GregB
Valued Contributor

It wasn't clear if the car was in just your name or both names. Registered owner is responsible for damages. The person driving the car is mostly irrelevant unless it was stolen.

I'm guessing that the car was registered in both of your names since they are coming after both of you. If so they are coming after him first since they have better information on him and he was in possession of the car at the time. If they don't get the money from him they will get to you at some point.

Sorry, I wish I had better information for you. I would suggest you contact a lawyer.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.