Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Garnishment completed

tag
xrcrsvr1
New Visitor

Garnishment completed

My car was repossessed, car was sold then I was garnished for the balance owed.  (My thyroid failed on me and couldn't pay for the surgery I needed...thought I may have thyroid cancer, AND my car payments to catch up)

Noticed that the garnishments stopped, then a few months later was garnished 2nd time for the 300-400 balance that I had owed and I zeroed out the garnishment.  I have never been sent anything stating the garnishment was satisfied, should the atty's office send something, or file anything with the county?   The reason that I am asking is that my credit report shows I still owe 343$, and even when I disputed it, it was not changed online.  If they have made an error I know it has to be deleted.  Any advice?

Thank you!!

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Garnishment completed

You should definately go to the courthouse and obtain a copy of the court's file. 

If the file has not been updated, you can file a motion to dismiss or vacate, based on the fact that the judgement amount has been paid but had not been updated by the plaintiff.

Most states have a window where the plaintiff must update the court after a judgement has been paid.  Check your state laws for more information.

The procedure, however, starts with you going to the courthouse and getting copies of everything they have on file.  Don't rely on the CRA to have the correct info. Go and get the file and read it for yourself and then update the forum letting us know what the file says.

I found out that my file with the court was dismissed after it was paid, so I was able to send the dismissal in to the CRA to get the judgment removed from my report.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 3
superdad
Regular Contributor

Re: Garnishment completed

Where do I find the info on whats the window they have to update? I live in Nebraska and cant find anything. I have a jugement thats been paid since 2010 and it still hasnt been updated even with many many calls to the CA and atty office.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.