Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Question?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

General Question?

hi all

I have had the experience in the past where someone coming after me for an old debt was able to get it out of my back account. My questions is, is there any place where i can put money that might be safer from having that type of thing happen?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: General Question?

@Anonymous wrote:

hi all

I have had the experience in the past where someone coming after me for an old debt was able to get it out of my back account. My questions is, is there any place where i can put money that might be safer from having that type of thing happen?

A bank account can only be levied if there is a judgment and a writ of execution has been granted. There are some instances as well where a bank has right of setoff to your deposit accounts if you default on any credit obligations with them.

If you have open judgments and are worried about all this then I suggest a CU or Bank that is not in your state and one that you will not have any credit obligations with.

Message 2 of 4
surferchris
Valued Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

hi all

A bank account can only be levied if there is a judgment and a writ of execution has been granted. There are some instances as well where a bank has right of setoff to your deposit accounts if you default on any credit obligations with them.

If you have open judgments and are worried about all this then I suggest a CU or Bank that is not in your state and one that you will not have any credit obligations with.

Good advice.  Also never give a CA your bank info.  Get a prepaid debit card and then give that info to any CA's and JDB's, and only load the funds needed for PFD's (don't leave extra on the debit card).  Good luck.

Current Cards:
AmEx Hilton Honors Surpass//AmEx Platinum Card//Ann Taylor Rewards Mastercard//Capital One Platinum Card//Credit One AmEx//Credit One Platinum VISA//Fingerhut//Navy More Rewards AmEx//TruWest Platinum VISA//Aspire VISA//Costco Anywhere VISA//Lowes Advantage//Apple Card
Loans:
1 Mortgage/////Navy FCU Auto Loan (2020 Jaguar I-Pace)//Capital One Auto (2016 BMW i3)
Next Cards (4th QTR 2022):
Navy Flagship Rewards VISA//Chase Sapphire Preferred
Stats:
Scores: 700's // Inq's: 1 for mortgage // Util: 1% // AoOA: 21 yrs

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Avoid the major banks. Use a smaller bank or CU that is located in another state and does online accounts. A creditor that gets a judgement has to "find" your bank accounts. They usually do so by serving notice to all the local banks and big banks in the area where you live.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.