cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get a Secured card during credit repair or after?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Get a Secured card during credit repair or after?

My scores are moving up steadily and my question is: should I apply for a secured card (low 600s) now or wait until my scores hit 660s in a few months and go the unsecured route with both USAA & NFCU. Also, I am planning on buying a house in the next 6 months. Are more positive tradelines better than no negiitives?

Thanks all!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Get a Secured card during credit repair or after?

I see you have 2 identical post,go into the other post and click on options upper right,click edit then cancel.

Mortgage lenders don't like to see new credit line opened within the last 12mos, from what I have read.

Keep repairing first, before rebuilding. It's better because, your scores may improve due to repairing. If you apply

for credit during repair while your score are low, you run the risk of being denied also score will take a hit from inquiry by a point or two.

Try getting you FICO as high as you can,you can save a lot of money that way.For a $300,000 loan.

Example A.....FICO 620 house payment of $1860 for 30yr fixed 6.318%...is $669,600 over the life of the loan

Example B ...FICO 700 house payment of $1601 for 30yr fixed 4.951%...is $576,360 over the life of the loan

Difference of $259 monthly, enough for a auto payment with Ex B, or

put in a IRA to have a ton of money at retirement,depends how old you are.

Save a lot of money, over the life of the loan between Ex. A and B is $93,240

Hope this helpsSmiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.