cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Another Card from Same Lender After Chargeoff?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting Another Card from Same Lender After Chargeoff?

Ok, back in 2007 I had a CapitalOne Card with $500 limit and a Walmart Card with some small limit. I went through a real tight bind and never paid the bills. They will fall off my report in less than 2 years now. They've long been both charged off. 

Can I get another credit card with CapitalOne or Walmart before I settle the old chargeoffs or will they deny solely because I have that old charge off on my credit report? If I could just pay them, I frankly would, but I know they sold my debt to a bill collector who I may or may not want to pay.

Is it a waste of time applying with them?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Getting Another Card from Same Lender After Chargeoff?

Walmart (GE) seems to be forgiving on giving credit again, they don't blacklist.  It's always better if it's paid.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had a paid CO with Cap1 (CL $300) when I applied for a new card with them in May and they approved me for $1000 CL, and yesterday got CLI to $1500.

Message 3 of 5
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I had a charge off with Capital One back in 2002...I was 18 and underemployed at the time.

It was paid off eventually, and it fell off my reports in 2009. I got back in with them with a secured card approval eariler this year.

I wonder how BoA and Citi are...those are the other two cards I went bad on in my reckless younger days...lol.

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 4 of 5
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

I don't know about GE but my wife had a CO with Cap 1 from about a year before we started dating. Its still on her reports and was eventually settled for a lesser amount and paid.

She has been getting weekly mailings from them saying "we want you back as a customer".

When I say weekly I kid you not, its usually every tuesday or wednesday and have been getting them for the last 3 months solid.

Its kind of annoying actually.  She had about 1500 C/O before interest penalties/fees and paid about 1/3 of what was actually totally owed (including interest/penalties/fees)

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.