Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Late Payment Removed From Student Loan

tag
hippychic823
Regular Contributor

Re: Getting Late Payment Removed From Student Loan

So, if I understand this correctly...once something is PIF the CA has no obligation to keep it on your CR??? Sorry if I seem dense, I'm new to credit repair....
Message 11 of 16
lazerz69
Contributor

@hippychic823 wrote:
So, if I understand this correctly...once something is PIF the CA has no obligation to keep it on your CR??? Sorry if I seem dense, I'm new to credit repair....

You are not being dense. Smiley Very Happy  The feds have enacted several statutes that affect SLs. Smiley Frustrated

My argument would be that the plain meaning of the statute says that once PIF it can no longer be reported.  It appears that the statute may apply to Federal Perkins Loans.

Message 12 of 16
GiveJoy
Contributor

Any update? I am curious what you were able to do as I am in a similar situation.

Message 13 of 16
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

I've been trying for four years to figure out when the lates on my credit report that are related to my rehabbed (early 2009) student loans will drop off.

I've read everything I can find online, including sections 430A(f) and 463(c)(3) of the Higher Education Act of 1965, 20 U.S.C. 1080a(f) and 20 U.S.C. 1087cc(c)(3), and I still have no idea when my Nelnet and Sallie Mae lates will drop off.

I just want to know. Not knowing stinks. They should have to be much, MUCH more clear on this.

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 14 of 16
NewbieReed
Frequent Contributor

@gamegrrl wrote:

I've been trying for four years to figure out when the lates on my credit report that are related to my rehabbed (early 2009) student loans will drop off.

I've read everything I can find online, including sections 430A(f) and 463(c)(3) of the Higher Education Act of 1965, 20 U.S.C. 1080a(f) and 20 U.S.C. 1087cc(c)(3), and I still have no idea when my Nelnet and Sallie Mae lates will drop off.

I just want to know. Not knowing stinks. They should have to be much, MUCH more clear on this.

My advice would be to keep GWing them and even when you keep getting denied or hearing no response, GW them some more! -- i GWed Nelnet for over 2 months and was able to get 2  months of lates removed. It was for 2 consecutive payments but as we ALL know, the accounts are separated by disbursement date, so I literally had 8 baddies on my report for these 2 late payments. But thank God for these forums and the knowledge that I gained here because after 2 months of MANY MANY GW letters/emails, they've been "adjusted". Instead of just adjusting it and wiping the slate clean (as in forgiving the amount) though, they just tacked it onto my current payments (with interest). It's made my payment higher by $12 a month, but WELL worth it to see EIGHT late payments removed. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 526 EXP 09/2012 600 FICO 10/2012 608 EX (lenderpull)11/2012
Current Score: 705 FICO TU (10/2014)Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 15 of 16
gamegrrl
Frequent Contributor

I found this to be an interesting read. Bottom line is, the court says repeatedly that even if the CRAs should have stopped reporting information, the question they were asked to decide had to do with the actions of the university:

It is possible that under § 1087cc(c)(3) the Consumer Reporting
Agencies should have stopped reporting the information after
Seaman's loan was paid in full, but this is, as noted in the
preceding footnote, of no moment to Temple's liability.

Read and enjoy...

http://www.paed.uscourts.gov/documents/opinions/12d1026p.pdf

EX myFICO 850 - EQ myFICO 850 - TU myFICO 850
Goal Score: 800+ across the board! *DONE!!!*
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.