Did you mean: 

Getting Started

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting Started

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello,

Thanks again for the information. I am left a little confused regarding timely versus untimely DV letters. At this point there have been no Dunning Notices that I am aware of.

Today, however, my parents received a call at their house from another agency, Portfolio Recovery Associates. I have never lived at their address, since it was a new home built 3 years ago, nor have I given or used their telephone number with exception on the medical form for emergency contact. The debt with this CA DoFD is 4/05 and the SOL is next month. I acquired their number from my mother and am debating to call them for fear that the conversation may lead to legal action on their part.  Smiley Frustrated I would like to pay them but the amount on that particular bill is over 3 grand and I do not have those resources available. I have in the past request through phone conversations with them to submit me documentation regarding the debt. (this is before starting my recent research) I have not once gotten them to comply, but received the comment we have sent you this information before and will not send it again. Not sure what to do here. I have disputed the address last week as not being mine but it has not been removed as of yet. So far only 1 incorrect telephone number has been deleted. 

Thanks again.

BuckUp

With a dunning notice, they are required to send you one within 5 days of first contacting you.  Most likely, you should have received this when they first were assigned your account.  If you have not, they are not following protocol, although they can easily claim they did mail it.  Once you receive a dunning notice, you have 30 days to send a timely DV.  This would require that they cease all collection activities until they validate.

If you send it more than 30 days after receiving the dunning notice, they can technically just ignore it.  However, I have found many agencies will just treat it as if it were timely anyway.

As for that $3k account, I would probably not contact them at all until the SOL passes if you don't have the money to pay them.  Sending them anything may make them more likely to sue.  However, if you do get a summons, I would try like hell to get the money.  Beg anyone and try to settle as a judgement is the worst thing that can come of it.  If you are close to the SOL, just keep an eye out.  Once it passes, then you could start contacting them.

Also, the HIPAA process I mentioned does require you to have the money to pay in full to the OC.  If you don't have that money yet, start saving as much as you can to follow through with this process.

Message 11 of 17
annielorie
Valued Contributor

I know nothing about HIPPA process but search threads and you can find people that do.  After looking over your spreedsheet this is what I suggest.  The new derogatories hurt you more then the older ones although they still hurt.  So I would start like I said and make sure the CA owns the account. Start with the first6 in your list omitting the 1,375 one.  THose are all within the last 2 years.  Now you didnt list which debt was owed by same company.  Negotiating rules start low then come up then before paying PFD request. As for the one that just came on via your parents leave it alone for now, you can always go back to that after main cleanup is done. PM me with the revised list and what company is collecting .  It'll make it much more concise.  

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So I received a notice today for services that were rendered at yet another hospital. I looked at the date and realized that I had applied for assistance for that time period and it was granted it. I called the hospital to confirm this information and they advised me to forward copies of my paperwork to the OC stating that the services were covered by my HCAP. Basically due to my income + family size I qualified for free assistance. So I contacted the OC and they stated yes please send us that information and we will honor it and pull it back from collections.

Some of these debts were supposed to be covered and the hospital had told us they were behind and not to worry about it. Services would be covered and pulled back from collections. Apparently since there are multiple people billing for different services, not all of them were informed. I was told today that some simply require that I fax a copy of the HCAP form to their office and they will confirm with the hospital and clear the charges. Others require the hospital send this information.

Now this is not HIPAA, but I assume that once the debt with the OC is removed. I can ask them to have the CA remove this from my report. Or do I have to provide documentation to the CB's to have them remove it?

I am hoping the most of these will be covered, but am sure that some will state it is too late, in which case I will need to sweet talk a supervisor or two. I have the copies of my HCAP letters for the past year and a half. I am heading down the the hospital tomorrow to get the previous ones.

The OC I spoke with today currently has 21 negative remarks on my report totaling $9,836! As long as I have documentation showing I was covered during each instance the are willing to clear the accounts to zero and have them pulled back from collections!

I'm assuming this will look favorable on my CR once its removed? Should I see slight jump in my score? These range from 2011 to 2008. I would be happy with just 10 points Smiley Tongue

Message 13 of 17
Guava
Established Contributor

Any baddies gone from reports is always a good thing!

Assuming the OC removed some bad accounts from your report, and the CA still reporting it, you should contact the CA and/or the OC to have the CA delete it as I believe the credit bureaus only report info provided to them, if the info is valid, they have no reason to remove it.

Starting Score (08/11/11): TU08: 643
Current Score: TU08: 741
Goal Score: Stay in the 700s; keep reports clean

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 17
annielorie
Valued Contributor

BUCK UP thats  great do not let any thing linger get the proof they need let them turn to 0 and pull back collections once that is done send letter to the CAs Im so happy for you!!! I was hoping something good would find its way to you !!!!keep me updated and we'll see if there is anything left from Day ortho or forestSmiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Went to the hospital to get copies of the documents showing that services were covered on Tuesday.  Unfortunately due to remodeling or some other reason I was not able to speak to that department in person. I was however able to get my most recents dates of service.  Apparently there was a system change over.  They did direct me to the medical records to so that I could get all my dates of services.  I filled out the release forms and may have to wait up to 30 days for that information to arrive.

Today I spoke with the Financial department over the phone regarding my HCAP letters. Typically they do not provide copies as far back as I need. I had explained that initially I was told that the services would be covered and not to worry about them. That I hadn't realized so many different services were charged separately. Luckily the person on the phone actually knew me. They were a parent of a friend of my wife and I, and was very willing to assist me.

The HCAPS should have dates of coverage (typically a 3 month period). If I can get that info and cross reference the other dates, I should be in good shape barring any of the OC denying the coverage due to the amount of time that has passed. I know one OC is willing to work with me and that will be a major boost. If I can get Southview to honor them that would be a total of 33 of 52 negative medical based CA's gone from my report. 

Message 16 of 17
annielorie
Valued Contributor

GOOD now finish it up and see your score rise!!!!as always keep me posted  youll get there I have faith!!!Smiley Tongue

Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.