Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting There...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting There...

In the last year I have purchased a car at 2.5%, obtained a Discover card, a Cap One Platinum MC (NOT Quicksilver!!!!!!) and raised my FICO score 150 points.

I went from 720 down to 580 (after car purchase and maxing out the Discover and Cap One) back up. In Feb I had a 565......today I have a 695 FICO.

I have found that setting up automatic payments for the min due helps.....I can't be late and I can't forget. (ADHD)

And I put extra each month on the cards to help bring it down. Whether it's $10 or $75..each bit helps. 

The forecast calculators show me above 700 by October. And at about 750 by March. 

I cut my spending on things like the fast food and the eating out......and have lost about 20lbs in the last 6 months alone just from that!!!!!

Within a year, I will have bills down to less than one paycheck. Learning to live below my means is an adjustment, but I found a local Credit Union that pays 2.0% APR on an account that has $2500 or more in it for an average monthly balance. I opened this account today with $2510. 

That money can sit there and earn ME money while I pay off debt, and then I can fill it up and transfer to the 2.5% account at 7500 and the 3% at 10,000. 

My projected savings six months from now is $800/month, right into that savings account. I'm due for a raise at work in Dec, which will bump that up a bit. I'm not using the CC's now, and not feeling any pain. They can sit there open, with a tank a gas here and there to keep the accounts current and open. (One tank of gas for me in my little car is less that a monthly min payment so I can set the accounts to pay the "full balance" once I get them to zero and not have to adjust the budget really)

It's been a journey but well worth it. 

I'm looking at buying a new home in the next 5 years, with a hefty down payment on it and a killer credit score. Not bad for a guy pushing 40 eh?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting There...

Nice work OP., great job . I too have learned to stop spending so much on eating out and the like. I'm looking to buy a car in the next couple of mths . Did it really drop your score that MUCH omg that's so scary considering all the hard work I have put into building it up to a pt where I can get a decent auto loan .
Message 2 of 6
805orbust
Valued Contributor

That wasn't it. He maxed out both of his cards. His utilization is what killed his score temporarily. That's why I'm a big fan of high limits/more cards even if you really don't "need" them. It's a nice bit of utilization insurance... assuming you've got self control :-)

Message 3 of 6
Aduke1122
Senior Contributor

OK that scared me , I don't have but 3 cards as I am just now getting to the point of where I am being approved for unsecured lines , but I always keep my UTI less than 10 . This mth my Fiance's new Navy Fed card he opened in July never reported as a new account , we didn't even have a.statement date or due date and we were in the process of switching to use our CC instead of debit card to take advantage of the Cash rewards and promo. Anyway without us even knowing when the due date or statement cut it reported with a high balance and shot our UTI up to over 40 percent. Needless to say we lost alot of points for this. Navy fed said it was some kind of glitch and it should not have happened that way but it did so now we are praying we atleast get some of our points back when the statement cuts next mth .
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Great job Lucy!
That's awesome returns at your credit union.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Nice work all around!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.