cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a Secured card when I already Have unsecured cards, will it build my score?

tag

Getting a Secured card when I already Have unsecured cards, will it build my score?

I'm rebuilding after a bankruptcy, I currently have 2 UNSECURED cards with capital one , a 1,000 credit limit and a 1,250 credit limit. 

My bank, Wells fargo, keeps offering for me to apply for a SECURED credit card. I have about $4,000 in savings with the bank. 

My goal is to buy a house in Jan 2014.

my score is about 680 right now.

I have no auto loan as don't need a car, and no other debts,  thus only the 2 unsecured cards reporting on  my credit currently. 

Obviously I want to get my score up as hgh as possible before I get a mortgage in Jan 2014.

Is the money I have in savings better sitting on a secured card account and if so, how much should go onto a card of that type? -OR- Should I just apply for other types of credit (amex. or discover. or finance a large TV or something) or sit tight with my 2 cards?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting a Secured card when I already Have unsecured cards, will it build my score?

If you are planning a mortgage in Jan 2014 you do not need to apply for anything!!!! You run the risk of being denied a mortgage if you do.

The cards you have now...what are the balances?

*8/10/13
Message 2 of 4

Re: Getting a Secured card when I already Have unsecured cards, will it build my score?

I keep about $100 on them.  I use them and pay it back down so it's always between 7-10%  Limits are $1,000 on one card and $1,250 on the other.

Message 3 of 4
dodfire
Valued Contributor

You can try to squeeze out a few more points if you let one card report zero and the other card somewhere between 1-9%.

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.