cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a collection account removed help please!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a collection account removed help please!

Hello everyone, I posted yesterday (or maybe the day before I can't remember lol) that I'm working on getting a collections account removed. I tried going to the hospital and asking if they could recall the bill from the collections agency if I paid it in full and they said no. So I went and checked my Experian and Transunion reports and it was only showing on the Experian so I want to file a dispute throught hem. 

So the bill is for less than $200 and on the credit report from Experian it is showing a number that is 50 cents off from the actual bill price sent to me by the collections agency. If I pay off the bill throught the collection agency and then file a report with Experian saying the amount is incorrect will it possibly be removed?

Any other tips or suggestions? Thanks everyone!

Message 2 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

New collection on credit report

Hello everyone, I'm relatively new to credit and I have a question. About 6 months ago or so I went to the doctor and had bloodwork done. At this time my parents were (and are) still paying for my medical bills so they got the bill in the mail and set it up on autopay. Well there was one last payment due and it went to collections instead of just charging my parents debit card. We're not sure why as there was more than enough money in the checking account to cover the bill. Now I have a "collection" on my account for less than $200 and it's my only negative mark. 

So I have a few questions - 

1) How much will this affect my credit?

2) Is there a way to settle with the original creditor (the hospital) and get them to "recall" the bill from the collection agency.

3) I read that there is a new law that state that if a collection is paid off in full it won't affect my credit. Is this true?

And lastly if the third question is true, how likely is this to affect me while applying for a chase card in 11 more months? Even if it won't affect my credit score will it still show up on the report? I have the amazon visa so I'm trying to build a relationship with Chase so I can hopefully apply for the Chase Sapphire preferred when my Amazon card reaches a year old. 

Sorry for all the questions at once haha! If you need any more information I'll be happy to supply it! Thanks.

Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting a collection account removed help please!

Why would you pay it and then dispute it?

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's not the money part I'm worried about since it's less than $200 I'm just worried about it staying on my credit report for 7 years. Also, I'm really new to credit monitoring and so I'm not sure what order to do things in and what my best plan of attack is at all.

Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would think if you feel something is incorrect, you would dispute it before you pay it. Correct me someone if I am wrong? 

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm just worried that if I dispute it then they will just correct it and put the actual amount of the bill on my report and then I won't have a way of disputing it since then all the information will be correct right?

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

So you're talking .50$ (fifty cents)?

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah it was just a differene of 50 cents. Again though, it's not at all about the money as it's less than $200. I just want it off of my credit report as I feel it was put there unfairly because the bill was on autopay and they sent it to collections right before the last and final payment.

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Paying the CA any amount will not get it removed it will be reported as a paid collection and updated possibly lowering you score more.  Before you do anything google the HIPPA Letter process follow it as it is laid out.  If you have any problems finding the website or questions PM me.

Message 9 of 17
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

I would not dispute, ill give you the order to handle medical debt sounds like you did #2 already so you want to check and see if you qualify for charity care if not then move on to the PFD offer. 

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if you qualify for Charity Care
2. If not then ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
3. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
4. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.