Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a collection off my account with a BBB complaint - success

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting a collection off my account with a BBB complaint - success

I disputed a collection from a company called AMCOL solutions. I had never heard of this company so when I got the alert before it was hard reported on my credit) i sent a debt validation directly to this collector. I didn't received anything back. After disputing with all three CBs, they all removed but Equifax. Why is Equifax so difficult? This one collection brought my score down by 15 points. Anyways, I initiated a complaint with the BBB after calling the company they said placed the collection with them and they informed me that my insurance had paid my bill and they pulled it from the Equifax report yesterday. So success! 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Getting a collection off my account with a BBB complaint - success

Glad to see it was resolved!

I would speculate that they finally removed based on a recent consent agreement with the NYS AG where the CRAs consented to the removal of derogs on medical debt once the debt is paid by insurance. 

There is no requirment for a debt collector to respond to a DV request, and the CRAs have no part in the DV process, so it is unclear as to what was the basis for any dispute or complaint.......

Message 2 of 11
torry590
Regular Contributor

From what I have been reading on here lately  and from my own recent experiences, it seems a few CA's and the bureaus are going a bit rogue.  They do not seem to be responding to any reasoning.  It seems people have had to use these avanues more than they should have to.  I just recently sent off 10 CFPB complaints to get CAs and the bureaus to take some action on certain accounts.  I am glad we have these resources, whew. 

As of 5/2021 EX8: 616 | TU8: 665 | EQ8: 662
First Premier $700 | Capital One Secured $500 | Discover It $1,000 (formerly secured)
Capital One Quicksilver $400 | Credit One Platinum $300 | Victoria's Secret $200
Express Next $500 | Williams Sonoma Store $400 | Brylane Home $250 | Chime Credit Builder NPSL
Walmart World Mastercard $300 | Aspire Mastercard $500 | Cerulean Mastercard $750
CFNA Bosch Car Care $800 | First Premier no AF $700 | Avant Mastercard $300 no AF
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

It was always my understanding that if you dispute it as a valid debt they had to respond in 30 days? Is that not true? Anyways I am glad to have it off.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know. The fact that i had not recived anything in writting before they just put it on my CR had me fuming. They trie dto say they didn't have my address, but I haven't moved and my correct address was listed in the direct letter I sent them in Feb.

Message 5 of 11
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It was always my understanding that if you dispute it as a valid debt they had to respond in 30 days? Is that not true? Anyways I am glad to have it off.

Yes CRAs they have to respond within 30 days in most cases and the law allows 5 more days for mailing of results. In some cases that time period can be extended to 45 days to respond if you open a secondary dispute while the first is still open and/or dispute from the annual credit report site. 

If you are referring to debt validatin no they dont have to validate anything there is no 30 day requirement unless you live in TX and request validation under the TX Dept of Finance Laws. When you request a DV within the first 30 days of a CA getting a collection it just stops collection efforts until such time that they do validate.

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, that worked for me last week too.  

Message 7 of 11
driftless
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Glad to see it was resolved!

I would speculate that they finally removed based on a recent consent agreement with the NYS AG where the CRAs consented to the removal of derogs on medical debt once the debt is paid by insurance. 

There is no requirment for a debt collector to respond to a DV request, and the CRAs have no part in the DV process, so it is unclear as to what was the basis for any dispute or complaint.......

Does that consent agreement include debts that the debtor that has paid off individually or just when insurance pays the debt?
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 8 of 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Just those that are paid by insurance.

Message 9 of 11
driftless
Valued Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Just those that are paid by insurance.

Thanks. I read the WSJ article on the settlement but I wasn't sure how detailed it was.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.