Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a title to a car that the loan was written off 10 years ago

tag
ajoyce76

Getting a title to a car that the loan was written off 10 years ago

Hi everyone,

I have a problem I need some advice on.  I purchased a car (1998 Mustang GT) brand new with a 66 month loan. I made 61 payments and then my life fell apart. I'll spare you the gory details. The thing is though they never came to get the car. I don't know if it was because I was so close to paying it off (doubtful) or more because I used the plate on another car that got towed (and I couldn't get out). The thing is though I still have the car. I can still plate it and use it but my life is much better now and I'd like to do some modifications to the car but I'm scared to without a title. Any ideas? I'd read somewhere to get a lawyer and let them contact the original lender. What kind of lawyer would I be looking for? Also, I read somewhere to try and use the license bureau to find the current title holder. I contact the Indiana BMV and they said I can't do that in Indiana? Any thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tony

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting a title to a car that the loan was written off 10 years ago

Go to the DMV and apply for a replacement lost/abandonded title as it *should* be considered an abandoned vehicle. It is the title holders responsibility to come and get the vehicle in a timely manner and if they fail to do so, its considered abandoned - usually after 1 year, but certainly after 10 years.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.