Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting bad credit off my score

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting bad credit off my score

Hi...I'm trying to increase my credit score after falling into a scam where loans and maxing out credit cards was involved. I'm currently working with a lawfirm to settle an amount with the creditors that I stopped paying and then I have monthly payments topay them off. I have 2 of the accounts paid in full....what do I need to do to get those off my credit score since it's a negative ding towards me and I don't owe anything? Also, for the ones that have been settled and I'm currently paying the monthly fee...do I have to wait until they are paid in full to get them off my credit report? Thanks in advance for the advice....I've been searching all over the internet with no luck. 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting bad credit off my score

Assuming this isn't a case of identity theft and that you actually are responsible for the debt...

One method of getting the derogatory listing off your credit report is to negotiate with the creditors in your payment schedule to do a Pay For Delete (PFD) where they agree to remove the item once it has been paid. However, that would need to be agreed upon prior to you agreeing to pay the debt.

If you hadn't negotiated an agreement of that sort, your other option is to begin a goodwill campaign after paying off the debt to ask them to remove it. In that case, it is entirely at their discretion as to whether it will be removed. If they choose not to, it can stay on your credit report up to 7 years after the Date of First Deliquency.

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting bad credit off my score

When doing this goodwill campaign do I do it in letter form or call? If it is a letter is there an in general templete out there to help with this? And I assume I send it to the actual creditor. Thanks!

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.