Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting calls and letters but not on my CR

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting calls and letters but not on my CR

Lately I've been getting calls and letters from Portfolio Recovery stating that I owe a debt of $346.59. Admittedly I did have some credit problems in the past but I have no idea what this is for. Thing is, I've checked my credit report and this is not on there at all so it makes me wonder if they just bought an old debt and are now trying to collect even though it's past the SOL. They have offered to settle for 50% or let me make payments but I haven't responded to any of those. So since this isn't showing up, should I just ignore them? If I send a DV letter will that open myself up for more problems?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
LIGHTNIN
Senior Contributor

Re: Getting calls and letters but not on my CR

Yes it sounds like an old debt to me, because of the 50%. You can ignore them if you wish or send a cease and desist letter.

You can use the search option, to find cease and desist lettersSmiley Wink

FICO's May 2015 EQ764 ~~Live below your means and always keep an emergency fund -Love Everybody ~ Big Kenny ~ Big and Rich ~~~~~Credit Scoring 101 - Common Abbreviations - Freq Req Threads - Free Credit Reports - What Steps Do I Take?DV? PFD?
Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Getting calls and letters but not on my CR

Once they made any intiail communication with you, that triggered their requirement to send you a written collection (dunning) notice within 5-days, which, among other things, must identify the original creditor.  Have they done this?

If they call again, just tell them to direct all further communications to them in writing.  It is your right to know for whom they are collecting before you have ANY discussion with them.

If you, by chance, have their correspondence address, you might send them a DV letter.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.